Hummingbird Cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon
- 3 lightly beaten eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cup oil
- 8 oz. can crushed pineapple, do not drain
- 3-4 large bananas, mashed. (2 cups)
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts, optional
- Combine flour, sugar, soda, salt & cinnamon. Add eggs, vanilla, oil, pineapple, bananas and pecans and stir just until all ingredients are moistened. Grease three 8-9" pans or one 9x13" and pour batter into pan(s). Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, until top is golden and toothpick comes out clean.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 16 oz box of powdered sugar, approx. 3 and 2/3 cups
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, option
- toasted coconut to sprinkle over frosting, optional
Since Handyman prefers cake without nuts (he is nutty enough), I placed chopped pecans on one half of the batter and pressed them lightly into the top before baking. Once the cake was cool I iced it with Cream Cheese Frosting. You can sprinkle toasted coconut over the frosted cake, if desired. The bananas and pineapple make this cake really moist. So delicious!
Speaking of delicious things, Summer break is almost upon us as today is the last day of classes for College Girl. Final exams are next week. Wouldn't you know it, she has a presentation to give in one of her classes which means she must wear 'business casual' attire and finish off the semester in style.
Time for me to compile my summer wish lists~ recipes to try, things to do, books to read.
sharing this post with:



Looks scrumptious!
ReplyDeleteI think I'm getting hungry now! Thanks for sharing your recipe, Shawn!
ReplyDeleteHmmmmmm! I agree with Patty! I am very hungry now! Your cake looks delicious!!!! And I love, LOVE the photo of your hummingbird, too! Thank you for always having such wonderful posts to read! I really enjoy visiting your blog, Shawn!
ReplyDeleteOooh . . . yummy! I had this once and it was delicious! Great photo of the hummingbird too! My son is home from college and I am really enjoying having him here. I hope you're able to enjoy the same with your College Girl.
ReplyDeleteLooks so yummy!! Thanks for stopping by!
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Deb
I have been wanting to try this. Looks so yummy! I make a Banana cake that I do the same thing with the nuts half and half when ever I take it to someone. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
ReplyDeletehugs,
Jann
Yummmmmo! This looks divine!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this post at City of Creative Dream's City of Links on Friday! I appreciate you taking the time to party with me. Hope to see you again this week :)
ReplyDelete