Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Moss and Mushrooms


Happy May Day! I'm so excited to share what I've been working on with you. I created two fairy gardens for the back yard. I even took my camera outdoors so I could take a few 'as I worked' photos to show you how they came together. For the first garden, it all started with a terra cotta bowl and some potting soil.


Next, I added a birdhouse (50% off at JoAnn Fabrics) and a small 'tree'.


I love the 'hilly' look of Irish Moss, and I added some flowers and a white trellis.


Now I was ready to add some details like a fairy or two, a pebble path and a bench.


This little fellow, the Elm Tree fairy, has bent arms - perfect for holding a tiny watering can!


He needed help with the gardening so I added a friend, the Fumaria fairy. Oh, look - a pretty blue mushroom appeared after they used the watering can!

See the sweet fairy in the green dress under the tree? She is cooling off in the shade. 

The second Fairy Garden wasn't planned - it just sort of happened! I had leftover Irish Moss and an old non-working fountain. Handyman drilled drainage holes in the upper and lower bowls of the fountain so I could plant flowers in them. This is the before photo. The fountain has begun to rust and the pump doesn't work.


I filled the bowls with potting soil and started adding flowers and moss.

 
 I planted Japanese Grass in the top tier, which had been in last summer's Fairy Garden and taken over the pot. I hope it doesn't mind being transplanted. I like it's wild look!


Let's play 'I Spy'. Can you spot a
  • bird house
  • bird bath
  • bee skep
  • teapot
The Columbine Fairy is twirling and dancing among the Irish Moss. 
 


All our fairies come from the Cicely Mary Barker collection.

 Cicely Mary Barker (1895-1973) was an English illustrator best known for a series of fantasy illustrations depicting fairies and flowers.





Every time I look at the patio I am charmed by our new fairy gardens! I can't help smiling when I see them. Click here to  go to the Flower Fairies interactive website where you can see all the different fairies and print out activity sheets and other fun things.


The world is very old;
but every spring
it groweth young again,
and fairies sing. 
Flower Fairies of Spring,1923






Make your own Fairy Garden and join the fun at The Magic Onions- they are having a fairy garden contest this summer.
sharing this post with:

38 comments:

  1. SO adorable! My daughter would love to make one of these this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are both adorable! I love how the fountain one came out. I did one last year like your first one pictured. I think it needs a refresh though. I need to find some of that Irish moss. It seems to suit fairy gardens nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are too adorable- I love miniature gardens! I just posted a MayDay fairy garden but never thought to do a two tier! Where do find your little treasures?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your fairy gardens they are wonderfully cute! take care, Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I love seeing the miniature touches you added--the birdhouse, the teapot, the bench, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely precious! I love these sweet little gardens and the moss is just so wonderful!
    jemma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your fairy gardens are darling! You have so many cute little touches. I've made a few over the years with my granddaughters. They are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are adorable! I think I want to try my hand at one, thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello
    j' adore cette décoration de jardin
    c' est magique , j' ai acheté sur EBAY des " silhouettes " que je vais bientôt
    installer dans mon jardin
    à très bientôt
    tendresse
    edith(iris)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are just precious!! Love the fairies and you inspire me to make one!

    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your little fairy gardens are lovely. I believe they make you smile when you see them. I smiled just looking at your pictures. Your fountain is perfect for the garden. Love it. Have a great weekend and enjoy your sweet gardens. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Shawn, I am totally in love with your little gardens! SO CHARMING and how fun! What a great idea. My little Ava would adore one of these. I certainly have lots of mini extras from my dolls. What is the little pink flower that looks like a type of fushia?
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Linda

    PS...still don't like the blue pix of Tasha's!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your idea is just great.........what little ones wouldn't spend hours working on the project. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a LOVELY post, Shawn! Love your gorgeous fairies, the precious little house, the charming landscaping that you designed, and definitely the bee skep!!!! You have inspired me so much with your creativity that I just got through purchasing miniature fairy garden supplies for my mother, my mother in law and daughter! Everyone will be "fairy happy" for Mother's Day or their birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love, love,love your flower fairy gardens!!! Thank you for sharing at the hop my sweet bloggy friend xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. My little grandgirls would have loved your precious fairy gardens! The charming little house, the lovely landscaping, you did a beautiful job here! Have a great weekend. Thank you for your sweet and kind visit.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is so sweet, I want to make one. Thanks for sharing - Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Let me try that again! This is really lovely! Thank you for the 'how-to'. That's an inspired use of a broken fountain and it's nice to see Flower Fairies in a garden setting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh! These little gardens are gorgeous!
    And the fairies are just lovely!
    I really enjoy all the very beautiful details, you have inspired me.
    Besos from Argentina! Silvina

    ReplyDelete
  20. Both Fairy Gardens turned our perfectly! So enchanting and fun! All the tiny details created a realistic garden.

    So fun scrolling though your posts this evening :)a
    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, these are beautiful. What a work of art, you definitely have the flair for transforming a few things into beauty. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog. ~ Abby

    ReplyDelete
  22. Both of your fairy gardens are beautiful! So creative! Love, love them!
    hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Eeeeeee!!! This is the most gorgeous thing I've seen today. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. OH my goodness, as soon as I'm done with my Mother's Day giveaway I might just make some time to do something like this. I hope I can remember it was on your page. Adding you to my blogroll.
    Thank you for stopping by.
    Happy pinks!
    xoxo's

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love all the fairy set ups Shawn!

    ReplyDelete
  25. How lovely that is. I love the fairy gardens books. I have one that is 60 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is brilliant! My little granddaughter would love this. You've inspired me to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi!

    You were featured on BeBetsy!

    We were co-hosts on Favorite Things Hop Thursday with Katharine's Corner. We loved your link-up so we featured it! Thanks for joining us in the fun and visit BeBetsy - Smashingly Good Living! Sharon and Denise

    http://bebetsy.com/2013/04/30/katherines-corners-blog-hop/

    ReplyDelete
  28. The fountain is perfect for flowers, and fairies are always so cute in gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Both are darling Shawn. The fountain worked wonderfully for your sweet fairies to reside. Last year I made my wheelbarrow fairy garden into an eye spy and my grandies had so much fun finding the hidden objects. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Shawn, just hopping back to let you know that I will be featuring you at Share Your Cup.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Shawn, I LOVE your fairy gardens. I couldn't find any fairies, but I did find a gnome and used him. I have that same birdhouse. Your little gardens are magical and fun! Thnaks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I LOVE these fairy gardens! I'm not really a gardening kind of girl, but these are so neat, I think I'm going to have to make one! Thanks so much for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fabulous! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  34. Will feature this today at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  35. So sweet, just love your tiny gardens, especially your faountain...so charming!!!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  36. These are both sooooo adorable Shawn!! I LOVE THEM!! So darling! I really love the look of them both...so lifelike...reminds of me some of the stories I have read!! I have a birdbath...I hope to do something with...need to find me some little fairies! I have just finally started planting my annuals...and today it is 40 degrees out...LOL..Michigan??? Craziness!
    Hugs!!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  37. Shawn, your fairy gardens are magical. I love both of them. I need to find a couple of fairies for mine. I have a cute gnome, but he needs a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  38. OMG!! I love your fairy gardens! Especially the one in the fountain!! So darn cute!! And I adore your sweet fairies!!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you visited and really appreciate your comments. I'll put a fire under the kettle and you choose which tea we'll steep~