Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Oh, Poppy!



File:In Flanders Fields (1921) page 1.png
JOHN McCRAE and ERNEST CLEGG



The Remembrance Poppy has been used since 1920 to commemorate soldiers who have died in war. Inspired by the poem "In Flanders Fields", they were first used by the American Legion to commemorate American soldiers who died in war (1914–1918). They were then adopted by military veterans' groups in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
RED POPPIES by Claude Monet



In the United States, the American Legion distributes crepe-paper poppies in exchange for contributions. "Poppy Day" is usually the same as or near Memorial Day in May. Red poppies are used for fallen soldiers, white poppies symbolize peace and purple poppies are to recognize animals who died in the war effort.




Here in California the Golden Poppy is our state flower and it can be seen covering hillsides.  
Also known as the flame flower and copa de oro (cup of gold), the poppy grows wild throughout California. California Indians valued the poppy as a food source and for the oil extracted from the plant.
 May 13th - 18th is Poppy Week
 
 
 College Girl gave me a packet of California Poppy seeds last May and they are blooming again now!




We often see roses on teacups, but I think it might be nice to find a cup with a poppy on it, especially since I am one of four generations of our family born in California. A quick online search led me to a poppy themed china set made by Herend USA, a company originally founded in Hungary in 1826. This elegant pattern features gold trim and a blue butterfly inside the cup.  

 




Tea Saucer
HEREND POPPY SAUCER
 
Dinner Plate
HEREND POPPY DINNER PLATE




Here is my pot full of poppies. They close up each evening when the sun goes down and open again in the morning.
 

  
Anyone who has seen the Wizard of Oz most likely remembers the scene where Dorothy and her companions reach the poppy field and can see the Emerald City in the distance!
 
 

 "Poppies, poppies!"





If you take a driving tour of California you are sure to be welcomed by fields of golden poppies.  
 
California, Here I Come
Right back where I started from
where bowers of flowers
bloom in the spring
each morning at dawning
birdies sing and everything,
a sunkissed miss said, "Don't be late!"
that's why I can hardly wait,
open up that golden gate
California, Here I Come!


 



sharing this post with:

16 comments:

  1. Your photography is beautiful. I didn't realize there were other species of poppies. We have the big orange ones here in Maine. Ah yes, the famous poppy quote from the Wizard of Oz. I remember it well. Have a delightful day. ~ Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are very pretty flowers and I love that china with the poppies on it. Whenever I hear "poppies", I always think of that scene from The Wizard of Oz! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos, absolutely beautiful! And the china...oh my...would love to have a table full of it! Hope you'll add Amaze Me Monday to your party list...would love for you to share there!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a beautiful picture..Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So interesting! I love the poppy teacup. Thanks for all the information.
    Hope you have a great weekend. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was lovely to read the story of the remembrance poppy again. I think we need to stop and think at other times than just November. I love you photos of the poppies.....gorgeous !! The cups and saucers and plates are just so pretty. What a lovely posy. Thanks. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  7. A nice tribute to soldiers. I love the poppy plate and teacup. Very lovely. Thanks for dropping by my nook.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi and thank you for stopping by my blog
    how I wish I could visit California again
    I lived in California when I was young, my
    daughter was born in Fresno
    I loved in Visalia, Bakersville, Los Banos
    when I was first married

    your blog is really pretty, I see
    you like tea also, my favorite is summer pudding

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post sweet friend! The yellow poppy field image is gorgeous and I love the dishes with these pretty flower as well. I didn't know the story about them, they are a special sweet and happy little flower too. Thanks for dropping by and leaving such sweet comment. Wish you and yours a happy Mom's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely post with beautiful photos. I have never grown poppies and really know little about them. Seeing these beautiful flowers has prompted me to go and do a little research. Thanks for sharing! :)

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Poppies!! I love the soft color. I have some here...they started out a Gorgeous Dark Red...and Iceland Pink...of course after 3 years they all reverted back to a dark orange. I still love them though..great fern like greenery!! Love your teacup and saucer too!
    Hugs!!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely post, the poppies are beautiful. thank you for joining in the fun at the hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post Shawn!!! Those gorgeous golden poppies surely are perfect for the Golden State!!! What beauties, and so special that College Girl gave you the seeds. I don't have anything made by Herrend, but love everything that they create....lovely china in your post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photos of the poppies are beautiful and so is that china. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shawn, I love Poppies! I have quite a few Oriental Poppies in my garden and will be sharing them soon. They are in bud now. I have seen fields of California Poppies and I love them. Have planted seeds a few times in the past, but they just don't thrive like they do in CA. Loved learning about the poppies and soldiers. I have seen crepe paper poppies given out. Just thought it was because they bloom right around Memorial Day. I have been collecting poppy dishes for indoors for quite a few years. I will be pulling them out next week. Last year I found a small vintage coffee pot with poppies on it. Thanks so much for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aren't they beautiful! They have them at our garden center and I almost bought them. Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you visited and really appreciate your comments. I'll put a fire under the kettle and you choose which tea we'll steep~