Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, September 10, 2012

Getting Back to Normal



I have been awol from my blog due to the hubbub of the start of school and sorority recruitment for College Girl. Not only that, but my laptop refused to connect to the internet so I had to use Handyman's computer to write my last post! Anyway, the BIG news around here is Recruitment. Whew! The process is exhausting! Ha Ha - all the prep, all the meetings. We have a chalkboard in the kitchen that I write quotes, poems, notes, etc., on as the weeks go by. This week I put a fun message on it for College Girl, accompanied by Loki and Pooh Bear.  This is all new to me and I was happy to have a dear friend walk me through it - thanks so much, PIC! I am still not used to College Girl driving off on her own even though she's had her license and car for over a year - there she goes to another 6 hour Recruitment event. 

 
On the 'casual' day she wore shorts in order to carry personal belongings because purses and phones were not permitted. Wavy hair, au naturale!


On Preference morning she was in heels and pearls. She was so excited she could hardly eat a thing!


She wore raspberry colored strappy heels and nail polish - so pretty paired with the coral lace dress. The fabulous news is that she received a bid from Kappa Alpha Theta! What an honor - she is thrilled! Tired, but thrilled!




Here she is with the black kite they made for her; the sorority held the kites up for the Pledges to see when they joined the Kappa Alpha Theta members on campus. There was lots of hugging and smiling! I am going to have a ball scrapping all the sorority photos - hahaha! Hmm, a little bird told me there is a Martha Stewart pansy edge punch available. Pansies are one of the THETA symbols so I might have to have it! lol~ I think a shirt like this would give me inspiration, don't you?




Here is the back of College Girl's new red THETA tank top. It says, "I flew away with THETA". Yup, she did. She is on cloud 9.




        Congratulations, sweet heart. You earned it!





I did a quick search for a Theta teacup I could buy for our new Pledge. They do exist! 
This is hand painted porcelain with the Greek Kappa Alpha Theta letters on it but it is currently sold out. I could also go for a pansy design.

estatestore.org photo


Or this gorgeous Saji tea cup from 1940's Occupied Japan






Remembering all the victims of Sept 11


sharing this post with~
Marthas Favorites
Artful Affirmations 
Rose Chintz Cottage 
Antiques and Teacups 



17 comments:

  1. Oh Shawn!!! I am so happy for all of you....and especially for College Girl! The Thetas have an intelligent and beautiful new pledge and I know she will enjoy the friendships she makes in her sorority. This blog entry is stunning! Big Hugs and CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to College Girl! She is adorable : )
    She does look so very happy!
    Your tea cups are quite pretty. I would have never thought of a Theta tea cup! You are brilliant!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daughter is beautiful! These are such happy days for her.
    Such sweet teacups and what a treasure....a wonderful keepsake....Your girls sorority teacup!
    So glad you're back, my friend!
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh my, College Girl is so BEAUTIFUL!! Congrats with the Theta. I hope she will love it over there. You must be so proud!!!

    Love from The Netherlands,
    Leintje*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Shawn,
    You have an adorable daughter and she looks so pretty in her coral lace dress! Looks like something I would have worn. Congrats to her, and to you for finding that Theta cup! Enjoyed your post very much and thank you for the mention of 911. We here in Canada also remember! Have a beautiful day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    Congratulations for your daughter. It must be an exiting time for both of you. Thank you for sharing this pretty tea cups and for your nice comment on my blog.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! These are times in a girl's life she won't ever forget. Going Greek is just the best and this is said from a woman who just had a 40th reunion with her sisters. They say it's for a lifetime... and it's so true. Some of us hadn't seen each other for 30 years and you would swear we were just together the previous week! So tell her to grab those friendships and hold on tight! They will be always be with her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you can share in your daughter's excite and experience. The college years are wonderful and everything is great with your daughter receiving a bid! Hope you find the perfect teacup and saucer but my favorite is a pansy pattern. Have fun scraping!

    Thanks, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. College girl is so pretty and looks so happy, Shawn! Thank you for sharing her happiness with us!!!! My college girl is doing great up at Penn State her first month, too! And I love your tea cups!
    thank you so much for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your daughter is just absolutely delightful! What a very pretty girl and she has so much style. I love her outfits and they were so appropriate for each occasion. I can understand it being hard to watch her drive off every day and even harder to know she's now old enough to do so. The time goes by too fast!! We wish it could slow down just a bit during these valuable times. All my best to her. I really like your choice in tea cups. I think any one of those would be amazing to have. I think I would have a hard time choosing exactly which one, because although I LOVE the one with the big pansies, I do also love the very delicate one for it's very soft and feminine. But if you can hold out for the Theta one, I think it would fit right up the alley with the pledge. Her college days are going to be AWESOME!
    Hugs,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to your " College Girl" .... She's looking very pretty and proud. They grow up too fast, don't they... but there is always that lovely bond and memories.... Can't believe you found that Theta teaset ( ha Ha)... who would have thought ...Only a mom..... Fabulous find...and a memorable gift if you can get one... of course I am partial to pansies( ha ha)... You'll make the right decision... ENJOY !!!! ...Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Shawn! This is so amazing about College Girl! She is so pretty and how great this sorority is by having her! I love seeing all the beautiful tea cups! What a great job you did on your blog!!
    Hugs - Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Shawn, You need to hear this. Do you remember that you´ve send me a beautiful card with some goodies in it. And in it was a beauty of a teacup fiber which I truly adore. I´ve used it on an altered book because it was perfect with my favorite Alice in Wonderland theme and I´m in the top 3 now with it!!! So you´re beautifyl teacup fiber brought me luck!!
    The book is now standing in the living room, in my Alice in Wonderland table corner...
    Love from The Netherlands,
    Leintje*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness Shawn, you daughter is so beautiful. It's so fun to see and hear about the adventures of College Girl. They do grow up so quickly. We just married off our youngest Gina....mama is still happy and a bit teary. Take a peak at my blog when you have time.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your daughter is beautiful! Ah, college! I miss those days sometimes. Hope she is having a grand time. Thank you for the visit and sweet comment at The Dedicated House. It means the world. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-14.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning and smart. The best combination in a daughter. I just have to ask, is it coincidental there are two stop signs in the photo of her driving away?
    At any rate, be proud. Job well done indeed Mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations are in order here, to you both! How wonderful & exciting! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you visited and really appreciate your comments. I'll put a fire under the kettle and you choose which tea we'll steep~