Higher still and higher
From the earth thou springest,
Like a cloud of fire;
The blue deep thou wingest,
And singing still dost soar, and soaring ever singest.
From the earth thou springest,
Like a cloud of fire;
The blue deep thou wingest,
And singing still dost soar, and soaring ever singest.
P.B. Shelley
A unexpected surprise, a serendipitous event - A handsome bird in royal blue attire perched on our fence today! In all our years here in Southern California we have never had the pleasure to see a Jay in our backyard. They are quite easy to spot in our local mountains, however.
This jaunty fellow alerted us to his presence with his noisy squawking at the other birds on our patio! I grabbed my camera and managed to snap a few candid photos. I have had the best time photographing the various birds that stop by our yard for seed or a splash in the bird bath. I think I will make a mini album with them all. I did a bit of research and learned that the Western Scrub Jay is quite intelligent! Studies have shown that they can remember locations of over 200 food
caches, as well as the food item in each cache and its rate of decay. They live approximately nine years.
As Fall approaches many birds begin to migrate. Is there a favorite bird you get to see at this time of year? Or one that you reluctantly say farewell to until Spring?



Oh what a beautiful post my friend and such incredible pictures! I have to say good bye to my woodpeckers...they will be leaving soon and they don't come back until April! I miss seeing them in their varied sizes and their rapid pecking...they are so wonderful and i shed a tear when the leave but always so happy when they return! : ) thanks for sharing...it enabled me to stop for a moment and think of the finer things in life! : ) hugs...
ReplyDeleteI have a dear little hummingbird that loves my sage blossoms. Poor thing comes looking for them, trying some of the others favors but never stays as long as when the sage is in bloom. I've tried a feeder, but it just doesn't seem to like it. I hope the sage will bloom once more before it freezes.
ReplyDeleteOh that's beautiful (Bob said it's a beautiful picture too!) I love our blue jays here
ReplyDeleteThanks for the visit! Congrats to college girl!
ReplyDeleteLove your new feathered discovery! And yes, they ARE SQUAKERS! Our jays have a crest at the top of their heads and they are related to the crows.....who woulda' thunk? Love your photos, Shawn! Now that our temps have dropped out of the 100's our woodpeckers are back....both the Hairy Woodpecker and the Red Bellied Woodpecker. I love to watch them outside my kitchen windows!
ReplyDeleteWow Shawn! I have said this before but I will say it again! I LOVE birds and this one is so pretty! I love to watch them and especially love to close my eyes and listen to their sweet songs. Great photos!!! xoxo Ginger
ReplyDeleteWhat beautiful pictures of a fabulous bird! Love how bright blue he is!! I love to see a cardinal at my house. It doesn't happen too often but they are my grandmas favorite birds and they remind me of her.
ReplyDeleteHope you have a wonderful day and a lovely weekend!