Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, October 1, 2012

October~ Days of Indian Corn


The sunlight is different - that's how I know. It's Autumn! For me it is the time of year that is filled with delicious scents and welcome sights, like fresh nutmeg and crimson leaves. I revel in the cooler weather, adore snuggly sweaters and enjoy pulling on classic equestrian boots or sassy high-heeled boots. I rarely go a day without wearing a scarf, one of my favorite accessories, even if I'm just wearing jeans while running errands. The kitchen smells of warm cider and there is woodsmoke in the air outside. We have so many Fall-related traditions that we continue to do even though College Girl is not a child anymore: carving jack-o-lanterns, going to Oak Glen for apples and baking pies afterwards, watching our favorite spooky movies, listening to Monster Mash and Thriller and dancing around the room, looking forward to a visit from The Great Pumpkin (he stops by our house on Oct. 31 and leaves a surprise), sewing a home-made costume (Avenger theme this year), watching the birds enjoy the seeds from our sunflowers planted last Spring, and decorating. I must admit I am a nut when it comes to seasonal decor. I change the hand towels, put up festive pictures, set out my Fall dolls, write seasonal messages on the kitchen chalk board - oh, I have fun! When I come downstairs each morning it makes me happy to see old and new decorations that get me in the mood for the days ahead. 

 
The "Pumpkins" sign is new. I placed it on small blocks of wood to lift it up. The mantle is a work in progress - I think I need to add some varying height to the center but don't know quite how to do it without blocking the sign. I'll work on it! Handyman got out the Autumn boxes and I have yet to place the mice silhouettes scampering up the stairs, but did fill the glass pumpkin jar with Indian Corn. Brach's Indian Corn is the chocolate version of Candy Corn...I can't resist it with a cup of tea.

 

Meanwhile, sorority initiation is just around the corner for College Girl. She has been busy with Kappa Alpha Theta activities the last couple of weeks, and this week is one of the most exciting! It's Big-Little Week! The current members -Bigs - are paired up with new pledges -Littles - and do fun things like leave little surprises for them, but the pledges do not know who their "Big" is until the end of the week. I have been making a few sussies, or fun gifts, for College Girl to give to her Big once the reveal happens. 

 





sharing this post with~


6 comments:

  1. You know I woke this morning thinking, I am going to photograph the colors today. Before the final hard frost and icy winds take them all away. Thanks for this crisp colorful post. Your decorating is gorgeous. Off to find the camera now with a thankful lift from you. Keep smiling and creating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your Autumn goodies look marvelous! I am now in the mood for fall, but it is raining here, and no color yet-but soon~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your Fall decor! It really gets you in the mood for the cooler weather. We HOPE to get some cooler weather here real soon. I can't wait to start eating some candy corn...(my favorite). Sounds like College Girl is doing very well.
    Things have been rather busy for me lately. I've missed connecting with everyone.
    Hugs,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just stopping by to tell you how much I like your mantle! You decorated it so perfect for the fall season. Love your new sign! I just bought some candy corn to enjoy with the grandkids! Have a great week!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had to take a peak at your fall things. I just love fall and it's fun to see what everyone is up to.
    Your cards are so cool.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you visited and really appreciate your comments. I'll put a fire under the kettle and you choose which tea we'll steep~