Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, October 8, 2012

The Crows and Ravens Call

O hushed October morning mild,
Thy leaves have ripened to the fall;
To-morrow's wind, if it be wild,
Should waste them all.
The crows above the forest call;
To-morrow they may form and go.
O hushed October morning mild,
Begin the hours of this day slow,
Make the day seem to us less brief.
Robert Frost


I feel like I blinked and September was gone. With College Girl going back to school our days not only gained structure but picked up speed!  And now that the last wave of Indian Summer heat seems to have departed (fingers crossed!), a steaming pot of tea is more welcome than ever. Time to unpack my favorite Fall bone china beakers, pull out my quilted tea cozies and deck the house with pumpkins, scarecrows and my favorite inky-black feathered friends. There is something about ravens I find so fascinating. They are much larger than crows and have a different beak and tail shape. They can mimic spoken words like parrots, and they rarely squack while flying as crows are wont to do. Can you imagine how happy I was to find an October calendar in the shape of a raven? At Christmastime I display a collection of Advent calendars but I had never seen one for Autumn in the shape of a bird!


I found this wonderful fellow at TJMaxx, one of my favorite stores. Cool, eh? There were only two of them on the shelf and the minute I spotted them I put one in my basket. Score! Each day at breakfast College Girl moves the key to the next key hole with a little reminder from me. I'm happy she indulges her crazy mom! (I actually think she likes her crazy mom and how much fun I have with each season -haha- I am such a kid at heart) My teacup this week is a cherished Brambly Hedge beaker which holds more tea than a teacup. On the front of the beaker is sweet little Primrose. Are you familiar with Jill Barklem  and her stories about the mice of Brambley Hedge? Run, don't walk, to your nearest library or book store to see her charming illustrations and whimsical stories if you are unfamiliar with this wonderful children's author!


Is it just me or do you notice that tea tastes better from a lovely cup? :)


     Berries and brambles and home made pies!


Primrose has quite an adventure in the Fall Story, but I won't spoil it for you~ You'll have to pick up a copy and share it with your niece or grandchildren. Or maybe, like me, you will curl up on the corner of the sofa and enjoy it by yourself with a hot cuppa.






sharing this post with~
 Mosaic Monday
Artful Affirmations 
Rose Chintz Cottage 
Marthas Favorites 
You're Going To Love It 






22 comments:

  1. What a fun raven "calendar"! I've never seen anything like that. I might have to check out OUR TJ Maxx! Your cup is very sweet also!

    Have a delightful week! sandy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Shawn,
    I love Brambly Hedge! I don't own any yet, but I would love to some day. The stories and illustrations are treasures, as you pointed out. Your pictures are really lovely, and your raven calendar is soooo cooooool! I love it!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shawna. I LOVE Brambly Hedge! And the addition of your crows is so cute!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an awesome calendar! I love going to TJMaxx too; they often have such great items for home.
    Love the last picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post!

    I have never seen a teacup like that - and putting your raven in it is just too much fu n!!!!

    That braided rug is SO perfect for this month- you now have me really inspired to get out my Halloween things, most of which has been given away over the years.

    Enjoy these cooler days and your sippin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you commented on my blog because it led me to yours! What a wonderful, whimsical place. And I have to say, I am extremely jealous that your College Girl is close by for you. Mine is a freshman a few hours away, also going through sorority rush, but Kappa Kappa Gamma! Empty nesting is a big change for me, not one I have fully embraced... Looking forward to following you now! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Shawn "mother" of "college girl" LOL You were in my thoughts around the beginning of September, expecting you would be so excited with the start of school again! Oh I am crazy about that calendar! No TJMax here in Canada but it is one of the places I try and hit on a trip south, along with Tuesday Morning (or is it afternoon?). Sweet mug and yes tea is always better is a good china mug... I recently saw that there is a tea plantation in the US - Charleston. Did you know? Expect you will check it out! Take care..hugs always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love seeing your Brambly Hedge beaker. Makes me want to go and dig out the old books. So much detail in her lovely paintings. Fun, fun.
    Ruthie from: http://www.ladybstimefortea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a child I use to be afraid of ravens. Too many horror flicks as a child. Now they have become beautiful :)

    Your raven calender is so cool. I adore the rug too.

    Tea always tastes better in fancy teacups.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This tea-cup is just adorable. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never heard of the author. I will check her out. As for that teacup....how darling is that???? I would love one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Shawn,
    I love Brambly Hedge! Cute mug! Adorable raven mat and calender!! Thanks for sharing.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I noticed you stopped by one of my blogs but it was one that I'm VERY BAD at keeping updated. ;( I posted for Tea Cup Tuesday on my Hob Nobber blog. Thought I'd better explain why the post you read wasn't about tea!
    Anyway, thanks for stopping by my OTHER blog. I've read some of your posts here and enjoyed your blog! I'm following you now also! Thanks!
    sandy

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delightful cup! Score on the bird calendar! What a find!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely post! Your bird calendar is so cute! Love your pretty tea cup, too! I hope you are enjoying October so far!

    Hugs,
    HL

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really do need to put TJ Max on my weekly "Go To" list! Darling count down calendar, Shawn!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh what a find indeed! How FUN and I just love crows. The little guy looking over the cup is too clever.
    Thank you so much for my wonderful card and tea time treats. So very very sweet of you.
    Much love,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh...This is such a sweet post. I love your little black bird peeking out of your Brambly Hedge tea cup. I bought a set of Brambly Hedge years ago for a shower gift for my niece. She is like you with her many, many tea cups and saucers.
    have a happy weekend, my sweet friend,
    Smiles,
    Carolynn xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely! Tea is even more soothing when you have the perfect cup! I love the Brambley Hedge series. My husband laughs that my sisters and I love little creatures dressed in clothes. Your photo was a sweet reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am a big tea drinker, and do believe it tastes better in a "pretty" cup. I really love the crow sitting in the teacup. Loving your bird calendar too, so cute. Thanks for sharing your inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I used to read the Brambly Hedge stories to my children, and I had forgotten about them. Somewhere I have a few of the plates...

    I love your bird calendar!

    Happy Autumn! ::Jill

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you visited and really appreciate your comments. I'll put a fire under the kettle and you choose which tea we'll steep~