In fact, I knew I was taking two home with me so Miss R (our tea drinking soon-to-be college girl) could share a pot with me. Look what is written on the front....Where there is Tea there is Hope. Is that not perfect?! ha ha~ It certainly is for me, as I feel this way! And on top of the humorous quote was the fact that it is TARDIS blue.
For those who have not watched Doctor Who on BBC, the TARDIS is the time machine the Doctor and his companion travel inside. The original series began in 1963. My family and I really like the series filmed from 2005-2009. There is an episode that aired in December 2005 where the Doctor regenerates, his appearance changes, and he becomes the 10th Doctor. In that episode he is sleeping for a good part of the show as his body finishes the process of regeneration. Stay with me here, I know this is sci-fi geekery, but if you got to know the Doctor you'd see why I get a kick from this next part! So, some big bad aliens invade London! The Doctor's companion, Rose, along with the Tardis, is brought onboard the Sycorax ship. In the nick of time, the Doctor awakens after inhaling tea vapors from a thermos that had spilled near him and saves the day!!
He later said, "Tea! That's all I needed! Good Cup of tea! Superheated infusion of free radicals and tanin, just the thing for healing the synapsis." ~ I knew he was my kind of guy!~ lol
With the perfect quote and color of these cups I figured my daughter and I would have a Doctor Who themed tea time. I have a fresh tin of matcha so we decided to make green tea shortbread in honor of the green aliens from Raxacoricofallapatorias called the Slitheen.
~Green Tea (Slitheen) Shortbread~
Sift 2 cups all purpose flour and 2 tablespoons powdered green tea together. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt. In a separate bowl, cream 2 sticks unsalted room temperature butter.
Stir flour mixture lightly into butter. Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar, stir. Do not overmix.
Chill for 30 minutes~
Roll on floured surface to 1/4 inch thick and use cookie cutters of your choice. We used stars for our sci-fi teatime!
Place on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake 15-18 minutes at 325 degrees. Rotate cookie sheet halfway through baking time.
These are not too sweet and have a light as air texture....mmmm! My daughter drizzled a few of them with a basic vanilla icing. Then we set the kitchen table for tea.
Fans of the Doctor will recognize a couple of the additions to our table setting~ there is a British cracker (from the same episode I mentioned above) as well as the Tardis key on a chain! A tiny Dalek also found a place near the tea tin. Guess he felt comfortable there, both being made of metal and all!
~ ha ha~ Notice the Thermos? We decided on a full bodied English Breakfast from Grace Rare Teas called Winey Keemun. It is a fabulous tea any time of day.
Would you like sugar? Lemon? Do try a Slitheen Shortbread Cookie!
Time to pop the cracker. My daughter and I each grabbed one end and tugged!
And in honor of Rose, the Doctor's loyal companion, I went out into the backyard for a cutting to place next to the Thermos.
The Doctor and Rose~
I am sharing this teatime with~


This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteShawn, great story! Now I am going to have to catch an episode of Doctor Who! Your musings are always so fun! You are very creative! Beautiful roses! Have a wonderful day!
ReplyDeleteOMGosh how fun! Your creativity knows no bounds..love what you did..and the cup is SO you!
ReplyDeleteLovely story, what wonderful mugs,how great that you found them!
ReplyDeleteThat is a brilliant mug! I love it! Dr Who is always fun. The slitheen looks lovely! Cuppatea then??!!
ReplyDeleteRuth
Sounds delightful! I miss having MY daughter around, to sit and chat with and share a cup of with. I know our children HAVE to grow up, but it just seems to happen way too quickly. ;)
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/
Oh! This was a truly outside-the-box tea post! I know some die-hard Dr. Who fans - I only seen a few episodes and loved the camp! I have a particular fondness for Peter Davidson's doctor - only because my daughter and I have enjoyed all his work - from his early All Creatures days! Your cookies, the cracker and Doctor props - brilliantly conceived and executed! Bravo, friend!
ReplyDeleteJoy to you - as you bravely send your dear one off to school.
Kathy
Love the mugs, love the post! As someone who is old enough to remember the original Dr Who I thought your setting was great :o) Especially the dreaded Dalek....
ReplyDeleteI enjoy a cup of English Breakfast tea (or two) EVERY morning.
(Visiting from Stroll thru Life)
Your post is so much fun! I love Doctor Who, and especially the seasons you mention. The tea time theme is so fabulous and fun. You and your daughter must have really enjoyed it. The cookies look yummy too. Oh, and the mugs are totally cool. I love the saying and the color.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Terri
What a great post! Those mugs are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHope to see you on my blog:)
Aahhh...what a lovely story! Love your mug! Love your rose too - soooo beautiful!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great tea! Love those mugs!
ReplyDeleteenjoyed your post! Beautiful mugs and cute setting!
ReplyDeleteBeth
Oh my gosh heavens...I NEED THAT TEA CUP!! I am yelling with excitement! I pinned your cup to my pinterest wall, I will be owning that soon. :) YUMMY cookies too, GREAT POST as usual, you are one sweet lady.
ReplyDeleteFrom one tea drinking Dr Who fan to another I love your post. I started watching it back in 1963 and have seen every episode. One of our highlights at home on Christmas Day is to watch the Christmas episode although because it's Christmas we dont drink tea we usually have another tipple - wine in my case.
ReplyDeletexxx Hazel.
ps. The cookies look and sound yummy.
Hello,
ReplyDeletewhat a fun story. I love the idea to give the mug a special touching story. Your green tea shortbread looks intresting, I will try that, too. Thank you for sharing this fun. May I invite you for a tea, too?
Best greetings, Johanna
What a great story, and I love that mug! I have tea time at least 2 times a day, sometimes 3-I am a tea-aholic-lol! That shortbread look yummy! I just made scones Sunday, always good to have a taste of something sweet to go along with the tea! Thanks for sharing everything!
ReplyDeleteWhat fun! Love the mug and TARDIS blue can't be beat! YeeHaw!!!! Happy Tea Day!
ReplyDeleteHi Shawn,
ReplyDeleteI've never heard of this show but it sounds fun. I never thought of using green tea to make green cookies; great idea. Since I love shortbread, I would love to try a Slitheen with your tea. Your mugs are wonderful and you've given us a wonderful tea today, thank you.
Enjoy your week.
Blessings,
Sandi
What a great tea theme. The Slitheen shortbread sounds delicious. I have wanted one of those mugs for awhile - love the quote and color. Watching Doctor Who is now on my "to do" list.
ReplyDeleteLove the mug. How fun is this. Great tea time scape and treat. Great story too. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful story. You are right in there with the young folks ;-) Your pictures are storytelling ability made this all so delightful. Isn't it nice having daughters around? Mine is a bit older but I still love sitting and having a cuppa with her.
ReplyDeleteFondly,
Suz
Hello again Shawn, Thank you for your visit and kind comments about Charlie Hedgehog. Hedgehogs are now endangered in the UK and we need to look after the ones we still have. It's not looking too good for the poor little chap, he's suffering the effects of eating slugs that have taken slug pellets. The rescue centre said today he only has a slim chance...
ReplyDeleteRegards
Rose H
I love the mug!
ReplyDeleteGreat mugs and fabulous post... I felt like I was right there with you sipping tea... Thanks for sharing.. Hugs
ReplyDeleteYour delish recipes and pictures always get my mouth watering! Beautiful cups and perfect to enjoy a cup of tea with your daughter. They grow up so quickly!
ReplyDeleteThis is extremely fun! I have not watched this show in a long while, but you've captured the essence of it! Love the green tea cookines - we made some a great while back - they are wonderful! Your creative tea is quite charming! Thank you for sharing this with A Return to Loveliness,
ReplyDeleteGod Bless,
Kathy
Love the mug and the color! It sounds like you and your lucky daughter have a lovely relationship! Those cookies look yummy!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful mug and the quote on it ~ priceless. you put together a great setting!! Love that you have matching cups you will still be able to enjoy tea together across the miles. My friend in Vermont and I now have identical tea mugs ~ that we can use when thinking of each other... Happy week and many blessings.xo HHL
ReplyDeleteVery fun blog....it makes me want to hop into the computer and arrive at your doorstep.
ReplyDeleteLady Linda
Oh I love Dr. Who and I love this post ! I am going to make this shortbread. I am excited about the ideas you have shown here especially because they are fresh and appealing to both sexes...my grandsons would love this!
ReplyDelete