Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pumpkins~


I have been wanting to visit the Tanaka Farm in Irvine, California for several years but it was just one of those things that kept getting pushed to the back burner. Well, last week I was in the area and made a point to stop there knowing the strawberries were long gone but hoping to see pumpkins.


I took my teen daughter with me. Immediately upon exiting the car she wrinkled her nose and asked, "What IS that smell?"  If you are a fan of the television series The Office you might remember an episode where Angela and Andy accompany Dwight to his beet farm and once inside the barn Andy asks the same question, to which Angela replies, "manure." lol!

There is a small corn maze, fields of pumpkins, a wagon ride, and a small petting 'zoo'. We walked around and gazed at the rows of pumpkins on the ground.


Happily, there was everything I had hoped to see. We spotted scarecrows....


and tall rows of corn....


My daughter noticed the dirt, hay and occasional fly, not to mention the farm 'aroma'...needless to say, I do not think she will be marrying a farmer and living off the land! Haha~
We have never seen so many pumpkins unless they were stacked at the grocery store. I was glad I had my camera with me.


I suggested we walk through the corn maze and she actually agreed to go with me, unlike the eyerolling I would have got if she was still 15! We entered the maze...


I teased her about needing to use GPS to find our way out, but within minutes we came to the exit. Short, but sweet.


Young children were skipping from pumpkin to pumpkin trying to choose the perfect one to take home. Wheelbarrows stood waiting to help carry the orange treasure~


It was fun to see the small varieties available too.


        All this fresh air got us in the mood for baking pumpkin bread. So, when we got home we got out one of our trusty cookbooks called The American Country Inn and Bed & Breakfast Cookbook.


We measured out 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup oil and 1 cup pumpkin.

Next, sift together 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoons each of salt, cinnamon, baking powder & nutmeg. I like freshly grated nutmeg. Add 1/4 tsp ginger. 

Combine with liquid mixture. Fold in 1 cup raisins (if desired), 1/2 cup nuts and 1/4 cup water. Turn into well oiled loaf pan.
You can see that I only added walnuts to one side since hubby and daughter don't like them, but I do!

Bake in 350 degree oven 65-75 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes, then cool on rack.


I could not wait to cut into the loaf! I used my Mary Engelbreit cup for afternoon tea; the doily pattern seems nicely homespun and the sentiment is perfect.

*Home is Where The Heart Is*

I toasted a thick slice of pumpkin bread and inhaled the fragrant steam from my cup.


It is not a fancy teacup, but reminds me of treasured times in the kitchen baking with my daughter.


And the best ingredient to bake with is love!


The whole house smells of pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon~



I am sharing this post with:


Trisha at Sweetology
Martha's Favorites Teacup Tuesday
Rose Chintz Cottage
Artful Affirmations

26 comments:

  1. I love all the pumpkin farm photos and the Mary Engelbreit cup. You're making me hungry with the pumpkin bread! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I've never seen so many pumpkins! So nice that your teenager was able to go along and "ENJOY" the adventure. Your loaf looks amazing and I'd like to have a slice with my morning coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pumpkin field photos. Nice way to spend a day. I think I will try that recipe for sure. Pumpkin is full of nutrients too. We are half nuts too LOL
    Have a great day thanks for popping over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made it to the farm! Great pictures. ME is a favourite with me :) I have many years of Home Companion saved and certainly all of the paper dolls! Thanks for the visit my way...do Google Book Box, I think it is just your thing. I will send you some help if you like...hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I have been here with my kids when they were younger! What a fun place! Your lovely photos bring back happy memories.
    Your bread looks so delicious I want to have a piece...please???
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post for the season. Your pics are beautiful. Thank you for sharing the recipe. The pumpkin loaf looks so yummy. Love your teacup and saucer too.

    Thank you also for stopping by and your kind comment.
    Blessings to you with a hug,
    Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful day to share with your daughter. And the pumpkin bread looks so yummy! I think I might try this recipe using gluten-free flours. Love the ME cup and saucer. She is one amazing lady and I so enjoy her work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bread looks delish!! I can practically smell it...mmmmm!!! I love your ME teacup, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Shawn awesome pumpkin patch, would you believe I have never been to one, kinda sad, that one is just amazing, and by the way love the verse at the top of your blog, I need that today for some reason... thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi: That place sounds like it is a lot of fun. I am in So Cal. I need to make the trip. Thanks so much for sharing it all with us. It sounds like you had a wonderful day! Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything about this post is yummy Shawn....the photos, the tea cup...and especially the pumpkin bread! I cannot believe how many pumpkins were in those fields!! omgosh! LOVED all the pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun time with your daughter! The pumpkin bread looks delicious. Love the Mary Engelbreit cup. Home (the kitchen) is where the heart is. Happy Tea Day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow that's allot of pumpkins!!! Your recipe looks yummy I'll try it. I like you mug and saucer they look like the design was stitched on...
    Good times with your gal...
    Blessing Grace

    ReplyDelete
  15. me again...your follow buttons is on the Fritz...as mine is!!! I'll try following you by the button on top of your blog...
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Shawn,
    the pumpkins llok great. So many varities. And your pumpkin must be yummy. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
    best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shawn, your cup is so charming and the pumpkin bread looks delicious! What a nice time it must have been to go see all those pumpkins. Little ones would love it! The pumpkins are pretty when you see a field of them. I am especially fond of the wee ones. Thanks for taking me along and have a delightful day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your cups always have such a warm glow and the baking always looks so yummy ... Teatime with you is always delightful !!!..Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your daughter...despite the farm-fresh aroma. lol You can tell her that that same foul-smelling farm stuff makes THE BEST natural fertilizer...just the way God intended. ;)

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, Shawn, your pumpkin patch reminded me of our New England days - and fall adventures with the kids in apple orchards and pumpkin patches and even turkey farms - your daughter would have loved the smell of that place! Sweet Mary Englebriet cup - and Autumn scenes. Now, as to your recipe - I'll have to gluten free it to eat it - looks yummy, though. I often do use bananas, too - applesauce is a substitute for butter or oil.

    And, the Nanowriter thing? I've seen some other young bloggers mentioning it - something about writing a novel in a month? Would love to look into it more - and participate - but not my call or season, I'm afraid. Just haven't the time. Now that school is in session, I barely have blog reading time! Praying for more hours in the day for creative and inspirational activities. Do tell me more about what your daughter has done with it. I love to be able to encourage young writers - perhaps living vicariously through them - encouraging them to do in their youth what gets increasingly harder to do later on.

    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  21. A quick visit to say thx for linking at the Tea Party!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh what fantastic photos. Love the pumpkin bread also. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for taking us along, Shawn!!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So funny....15 years olds are interesting. My daughters are all grown up now and oh do we share funny stories from the past. This will be one for the two of you!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fun visit! My kiddos would of been pushing those wheel barrows around and filling them with pumpkins! They would have a blast! I LOVE ME. My mom has many of her mags..and we love to look through them! Yummy!! Pumpkin bread..I knew I would be hungry after visiting your post :0)
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you visited and really appreciate your comments. I'll put a fire under the kettle and you choose which tea we'll steep~