We had such a gorgeous, sunshiny day today! I thought it was the perfect time to reseed our cat's little 'salad' pot. She enjoys chewing on oat grass: it is a outdoor treat she can indulge in while staying safe indoors.
Oat grass seed is easily found at stores like Petsmart and Petco. All you need to grow it is some potting soil in a well drained planter or pot.
Fill the pot 3/4 full of soil, then water. Sprinkle several tablespoons of oat grass seed on the dampened surface, then cover seeds with 1/4" more soil. Lightly water. Keep moistened until seeds sprout in a few days. Kitty will be delighted!
Another treat for kitty is cat mint, or catnip. You can usually find seedlings at home and garden stores...just look in the Herb section of the Gardening areas.
Weather permitting, we take our kitty outside to sample the oat grass & cat mint but only while wearing her harness & leash...yep! You would be surprised how most cats easily adjust to wearing a harness. Both of our cats quickly learned that putting on their harness/leashes meant they got to explore the backyard & get some sun, and we adopted them as adults. Make putting on the harness and leash a good thing by offering a yummy treat, and be patient. I started by jingling the leash & harness when I opened our screened back door. The cats would immediately come to the screen to look out, and I gently introduced them to the leash. Indoor cats live much longer than cats allowed to roam free. Traffic, other animals, poisonous plants & products, pests and illnesses contribute to a remarkably shorter lifespan for 'outdoor' cats... as much as 10 years difference! We have coyotes and snakes in our area, not to mention opposums.
We discovered that the wild rabbits that visit our backyard also love the oat grass...so I will keep kitty's grass out of reach~




We have a harness and leash for our cat but I haven't taken her out much. . . will have to do that! Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteThe oat grass is a great idea! I need to try that for my cats. Thanks so much for you well wishes on my Etsy shop! Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteHugs, Cindy
What a fabulous idea...thanks for sharing, I have 2 kitties that might like this...LOL
ReplyDeleteHavent been around much this winter, but trying to get back into the swing of things. AFter all it is MARCH! Spring is around the corner!
Awww...I want to grow a snack for my kitty kitty!! I have been thinking about getting a harness for Mr. Kittens!! We currently get up, get the kids on the bus, then I open a window and throw out some seed and peanuts for the squirrels, Mr. Kittens likes to stick his head out and watch them..while sitting in my lap. No screens...and we have a walkout basement below us..otherwise I am sure he would jump...LOL. Thanks for sharing :0)
ReplyDeleteHugs!!
We still have our little white pot that I grew catnip for our kitty who has gone on to the Rainbow Bridge. He loved the catnip so much. This post brings tears to my eyes thinking of him. HUGS to YOU, Shawn!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteToday was a FUN day, I've received the goodie box you've send me. I love the tea pot cover, that is such a sweetie & I love the stamp what cutie is that!!
This weekend I will have my own little tea party and I will try all the different tea's. The Tim Holtz products are amazing! I will try them soon!!
And your card looks wonderful!!
Thank you so much, so sweet of you!!
Love from The Netherlands,
Leintje*
Super cute idea with the oat grass!
ReplyDeleteDee
Shawn! My sister has three beautiful cats, and i am going to plant the oat grass seed for them! Thank you so much for the wonderful idea!!!!!
ReplyDeletePerhaps if I plant some kitty grass my Copperfield will stop eating my fake floral decor. Actually, I'm taking a chance with some crocus bulbs in a shallow pot in the kitchen area. They sniff it, but so far keep out. No catnip - can't stand the personality change in my babies when they get near it.
ReplyDeleteNow, you must stop over my place - teatime and my one year blogoversary - just had to mention YOU!
Joy!
Kathy