I love St. Patrick's Day~ I like making Irish Soda Bread, drinking Irish tea, wearing my claddaghs and Aran sweater, and crafting green goodies for friends and family. I was inspired to make the ornament above when I saw one like it in a gift shop recently. The one in the shop was made of sturdy lightweight wood, and had an image, glitter and ribbon, although no eyelets. I went to a hobby store and found the perfect wood for this project. It is wood used by model airplane builders.
Directions~
- print image you want to use (try Gecko Galz, Graphics Fairy or Sweetly Scrapped for freebies)
- use an Exacto knife or box cutter and straight edge to score/cut a square or rectangle to fit under the image. A trick I learned was to use a strip of blue painters tape on the wood, draw the cutting line on the tape, then cut through the tape and into the wood. Using the blue tape helps prevent "break-outs"
- craft wood is 1/8 inch Micro-lite by MIDWEST. I bought a piece that was 6"x12" for $2.99. Rigid cardboard can also be used, but it won't be quite as durable.
- glue image to wood piece
- punch holes, install eyelets if desired to hang
- lightly sand edges. I also distressed/sanded the edge of the image
Embellish ~
Use Stickles, Liquid Pearls or whatever you have on hand.
As I let the ornament dry, I decided to have a cup of Barrys Tea. Barry's selects tea from Kenya and the Assam Valley of India for their Gold label, which is a favorite of mine. The tea is blended in Ireland.
I set the tea table with our shamrock tablecloth and got out the claddagh napkin rings! I love me a theme!
Love, loyalty and friendship...what a nice sentiment~
I also had a moist shamrock cookie iced with Anise glaze that College Girl made.
I spent some time looking through one of my Irish cook books called The Irish Country Kitchen by Mary Kinsella. The book has recipes for everything from breakfast to dinner, with lovely photos of Ireland.
My favorites are included: scones, oat cakes and barm brack. A little fella joined me for tea...he is not a leprechaun, but close enough! He is actually a Madame Alexander Peter Pan doll. I bought him years ago when McDonalds, of all places, was giving out a special Madame Alexander collection with meals. I do not eat at McDonalds but I spent weeks visiting different locations collecting these adorable dolls. (I will share more of them later!)
Isn't he cute? See his freckles?
The cup I used today was a gift from my sister-in-law. It has a quote on one side, a shamrock on the other and a Celtic knot design along the bottom.
There is no mark or brand on the bottom~
Doesn't the handle look like a leprechaun ear?
I enjoy reading cookbooks, don't you? Even if I don't plan to make every recipe, it is fun to read the ingredients, learn the techniques and methods, and gaze at the delightful photos~
The author, Mary Kinsella, grew up on a farm in Ireland. She writes, "Eighteen pints of milk are needed to make one pound of butter. The dairy at home was a little building attached to the main house. It had it's own entrance. Not only butter but milk, skim milk, cream and eggs were stored there." I loved reading about her childhood days eating sausages and soda bread slathered with fresh churned butter, washed down with big cups of hearty tea. Yum!
sharing this post with~
Artful Affirmations
Martha's Favorites
Sandi's Rose Chintz Cottage
Bernideen's Teatime
Return-to-loveliness
Brambleberry Cottage
It's fun to see how St. Patrick's celebrations around the world. In Sweden, we do not but I should perhaps begin? I wonder how the Irish soda bread tastes and the little cookies you baked that looks like clover. Is it pastry? I wish you already now St. Patrick's Day. Zinnia
ReplyDeleteEverything is so lovely. I love your shamrock teacup & cookies. Your little gal ornament is really sweet! Thanks for visiting Magnolia Cottage. Have a wonderful day!
ReplyDeleteLisa
What a great St. Patrick's Day post. Your table looks lovely with its themed linens, china, etc. I really like soda bread also and I think scones are my favorite part of afternoon tea. I haven't had a good cup of Barry's tea for a while now (I bought some on vacation a couple of years back). Your ornament is cute - thanks for the instructions.
ReplyDeleteYour ornament is so cute! You are so crafty! Your darling Irish blessing teacup reminds me I have an Irish mug somewhere in the closet.....
ReplyDeleteRuth
Oooh, a new tea to try! Love the box.
ReplyDeleteOh so awesome!
ReplyDeleteWhat a darling post - thanks for linking this to Friends Sharing Tea! Love these decorations and instructions!
ReplyDeleteHi Shawn,
ReplyDeleteYour St. Patricks Day Tea is wonderful! You made a cute ornament and I love the little Peter Pan doll. He does look like a little leprechaun and the handle on your cup does resemble a leprechaun's ear. I really like oat cakes too and scones too with tea. Thanks for sharing this with us today and for stopping by to have tea with me. Enjoy your weekend.
Blessings,
Sandi
Good day to you, Shawn! Always a delight to share a cup of tea with you--even if it is long distance!
ReplyDeleteSo very sweet and fun. Oh, I love St Pat's and all the goodies too. I don't think I'm going to get my things out as I'm going out of town next week...sigh.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.
Linda
Your table is great and you made me an ornament like that! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet post, I loved it.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for visiting me and commenting, so I then could find YOU!
Slante!
How very creative! Love your new creation! I believe we are part Leprechaun on my Dad's side of the family :)
ReplyDeleteAdore your teacup - it is perfect! Thank you for sharing with A Return to Loveliness,
Kathy
so many fun decorations...I love it all...I bet your house is just so festive...Thanks for sharing...love it
ReplyDelete