Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Blossoms and Butterflies



I found adhesive backed canvas atc's at Michaels last week and  bought them because they are a wonderful size for greeting cards. I like the fact that I can just peel off the protective backing and stick them down, and don't have to worry about using glue (or having it seep through). The first thing I did was use a waterproof pen to do some 'stitching'~

  
 then I stamped some images using Archival waterproof ink.

The stamp in this photo is for another atc I made to include in my Gardening Journal, but the steps are the same
 I gave the canvas a minute or so to dry, then misted it with water from my Mini Mister. While it was damp, I used Distress dye ink and my Zig H2o Pen to color the sky. Just smear a bit of ink on a craft sheet --- or wax paper---, then dip the bristles into the ink and touch them onto the canvas. Dye inks bleed a bit when wet, but this gives the piece a watercolored look.


Color in the images, cleaning your brush between colors. The Zig H2O pen cleans by simply brushing it on a paper towel...so easy!

stitched and stamped



color background, then do other images
When I finished coloring all the images, I dried the atc with my heat tool but you could just let it air dry.
Next, I stamped some text on one side and added any finishing details with the black marker I used for the pen stitching. At this point you can embellish, mat and decorate. You can use white paint or a gel pen to add highlights or Stickles to add sparkle.


I mounted the atc  to an blue edge-punched matting, then to green matting before I placed it on the front of a blank card.


 As a finishing touch, I added a stick pin and button laced with bakery twine. The atc with the Viola print is nestled in my Gardening Journal. I've been keeping track of a special little project and I can't wait to show you what I've been up to in the backyard!

Happy Mother's Day....hope your day is filled with blossoms and butterflies!


10 comments:

  1. WOW!!! you never cease to amaze me my friend! this is simply stunning! i love it! so so sorry that i have not been around -- you know when life gets crazy! but it is like a breath of fresh air having a cup of tea with you!!! : ) hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mothers Day !!
    Awesome tutorial. Love how you did that with the dipping and the distress,
    You get A+ for Double D's.
    Keep smiling and creating

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your creativity and willingness to experiment never ceases to amaze me, Shawn! Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so amazed at your creativity!! Your card is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! LOVE the vibrant colors and style. So much THOUGHT into creating and giving it that SPECIAL touch is just....just...SPECIAL. ANYONE would love getting a beautiful card like this. NICE, SO VERY NICE! And your tutorial is fabulous! How SPECIAL I feel meeting such a creative person. I LOVE what you do!!!
    Your the best,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so darling! I have got to go to Michaels and get some of this canvas. I have water pens and haven't used them in years. Great and fun idea. Thanks for sharing!
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comments on my blog. Just taken a look around & love the work you have done. Those canvas atc's are so cute & your stamping is amazing. Very inspirational. Sx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely is this atc! You make it look so easy but I can see all of the creativity and talent that went into this piece. I have perused many of your posts and enjoyed each one. Really nice stopping by to visit with you!

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! This looks really FAB. I use a lot of fabric from the ikea (a kind of linnen) on which it is fantastic to stamp. But with your canvas you are able to work out the background much better than with the fabric I've used several times. Clever idea!!

    Love from The Netherlands,
    Leintje*

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous card... never thought of stamping on canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this!!! I didn't have the H2O pens until a couple of days ago. I will definitely give this a try soon. I did one a while back just coloring with my distress markers and dabbing with water. Didn't give it the water color look that you got.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you visited and really appreciate your comments. I'll put a fire under the kettle and you choose which tea we'll steep~