Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Eclipse to start the Summer~
Finals are over, the insulated lunch bag is stowed away until needed for a picnic or beach day, and textbooks have been returned. Ah, summer break has arrived. My day to day activities are affected by my daughter's school schedule, and when classes end it is a break for me too!
The first weekend of our summer break brought us a solar eclipse. I only found out about it a few days before, and made a mental note to go outside and see it for myself at the appointed time on May 20. As it turned out, I almost forgot! I was making tostadas for dinner when I noticed the sunlight seemed odd. Then I remembered and called to my husband. College Girl came into the backyard for a quick glance, then headed back inside to resume working on her handmade Loki keychain dangle, but that's another story! Hubby and I were like two kids playing astronomers...he ran inside and grabbed a paper plate. He poked a hole in the center of the plate, while I grabbed my Nikon.
See what I see? I immediately noticed that the eclipsed sun was making lighted crescents on the painted fence. I took this photo at 6:30 p.m. PST on Sunday. My husband held the paper plate several feet from the fence and the shadow it produced made it easy to see how the moon blocked the sun (top). Look to the left of the paper plate shadow and you will see tiny crescent lights from the eclipse. Fun!
And this guy, my friends, is College Girls latest obsession! lol- His name is Loki and he is in Thor and The Avengers movies. He is played by Tom Hiddleston, a talented Shakespearean actor. College Girl and I have spent the last couple of evenings discussing the character development, motivation, and raison d'etre for Loki, his adoptive father Odin and brother Thor...we even did a bit of internet research on Norse mythology. Loki is not just a 'bad guy', and Tom is able to convey his pain and conflicting emotions well. We enjoyed seeing The Avengers. It was really entertaining. Summer break is starting off great! I'll show you my daughter's mini plush Loki when she finishes it :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I love that you grabbed your camera and ran outside to take these AWESOME pictures!! AMAZING! I had forgotten all about it... Great pictures and it's amazing at all the crescent shadows it made. Thanks for sharing this.
ReplyDeleteYour daughter is so very pretty. I can't wait to see her plush Loki! I haven't seen the Avengers yet, but want to. My husband and I HAVE to take the time to do this! I've heard many good comments about it. Your comments have made me want to see it even more. It makes me wonder about this Loki. He may not be a 'bad guy,' but is he trouble? OOoooo....I love a good bad guy!! I can see her attraction...
Thanks for sharing...Love it, LOVE IT!
Brenda
Your eclipse pictures are amazing! I'm so glad you could share those.
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by and saying hello; made me smile. Far cooler, is that you're Summer is off to such an excellent start.
Wow, its awesome that you caught the light doing that on your fence! I feel your pain I am also done with finals and its a nice feeling to have a lazy summer!
ReplyDeleteI've seen both movies (we have every week a girls movie evening at the cinema over here and that is so much fun) and they are really good if you've ask me. Enjoy of the summer break!! Have fun!!
ReplyDeleteLove from The Netherlands,
Leintje*
I am so LOVING your eclipse photos, Shawn! Very cool!!! Thanks for sharing them with us! I now I need to see both of these movies, too. (I always loved the old Avengers TV show!) And it is so cool that "college girl" is off now for summer break. My daughter had her last day of high school yesterday. Sigh!
ReplyDeleteI remember my father telling about seeing a total eclipse of the sun in 1918. He was 11 years old and remembered it all his life. He said it grew dark and it seemed to him as though the light "shimmered". I saw one in 1978. I then understood why he had such a vivid memory of his first sighting. It was truly unforgettable.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you were able to catch such an imaginative way to capture your memory.
BTW, Your daughter is lovely.