Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, February 18, 2011

Friday's Ironing~

I wanted to try the wax paper resist technique with brown ink and see if it looked sort of like animal print. I think it does! This time around, I used glossy paper by Krome Kote (been in my stash forever) as the background for the wax resist. Cool results!
I used various shades of brown Distress Inks, Verve Stamps, bakery string, and a scalloped square punch.
Crumple a piece of wax paper slightly larger than your project, then unncrumple it and lay it over the glossy piece.

You can either (1) make two waxed pieces by sandwiching the wax paper between the glossy pieces, then covering the sandwich with scrap paper and briefly ironing the whole thing or (2) place the glossy piece facing up, cover with crumpled wax paper, cover with scrap paper and iron with a dry iron. The second method leaves wax on the other side of the scrap paper, which is why you use it to ensure wax does not get on your iron! Make sure you do not use steam, and you need only iron for a few seconds. I used a Tim Holtz ink blending tool to spread various shades of brown ink on the glossy piece, once it was cool. Then I embellished with black Bazzill paper, bakery string and a stamped image from Verve.

I used black embossing powder on an Hero Arts Eiffel Tower image. Using my Verve stamps, I stamped a punched square with the 'you're my cup of tea', and fussy cut an additional teacup image to adhere with foam dots. I do not have any animal stamps, or I may have used one on this background since it does remind me of an animal print! Can't you just picture a giraffe on this background? Have a great weekend~ I think I may have a little more ironing to do!

10 comments:

  1. I'm learning all sorts of things visiting your blog. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool Shawn! I have got to give this technique a try! Thanks for posting such a handy tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great technique! I'm diff gonna try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is super creative Shawn!! I'll have to try this..tfs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous, Shawn! So rich in color, and unique! Terrific results. Tfs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fun technique and it looks like even someone "ink challenged" like me could do TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great tutorial. That's an effect I'll have to try once I manage to find some wax papers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs. C A Sunshine, you are truly one of the MOST INNOVATIVE scrappers that I know!!!! What a beautiful result from this fun technique!!! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the hint...two for one! Now that is my kind of fun! I need to get some more wax paper! I am out! Thanks for sharing! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh thank you for reminding me of this technique. I tried this technique ages ago at a local LSS--I had since forgotten about it...I needed this reminder! It really does give a cool effect. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you visited and really appreciate your comments. I'll put a fire under the kettle and you choose which tea we'll steep~