Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Cup Of Christmas Tea ~


"if you find you have some time, how wonderful if we could have a little chat and share a cup of Christmas tea." by Tom Hegg

A cup of Christmas Tea...the perfect thing to share with a friend on a chilly evening. Our repast is after 4 p.m. and can be authentically called 'High Tea'. 

High tea is an English meal that gained popularity in the 1600s, especially among laborers. It was often substantial, contrasted with afternoon tea where a few cakes might be served. High tea was often called meat tea because hearty dishes were served, perhaps meat sandwiches, or hot cooked food like meat pies, and Welsh rarebit. Cold meats, bread, cheese, crackers and a variety of desserts like cakes could make up part of the menu. High tea was usually a part of the evening meal, taken around sunset.  

Our gingerbread house~ It has an Oreo cookie roof, skaters on the pond and deer in the yard. 

 
The scent of pine mingled with the aroma of spices wafting from the kitchen. Going with a seasonal theme I chose to prepare Roasted Garlic Mashed Potato Soup, Turkey Roll Ups on whole grain flatbread and homemade Cranberry Orange Relish. There were small triangles of toast warming in the oven, waiting to become Welsh Rarebit. I also made Snickerdoodles and bought mini Chocolate Chip cookies and Chocolate drizzled Sugar Stars at Trader Joes. When my friend arrived she was greeted at the door by our festive penguin.


I lit the candles, then poured hot water onto the tea leaves to steep. The teapot is a Cup Of Christmas Tea design which originates with the story written my Tom Hegg.


         "Come in, come in," she laughed the words. She took me by the hand.



On went the striped cozy I made for the teapot to keep the tea piping hot! I served Troika tea by Kousmichoff which has hints of bergamot in it. It went well with turkey and cranberry.



The large plates I used are called 'Holiday Season' by Mikasa and the smaller luncheon sized plates are 'Tartan' by Sasaki.

                               
                                            I spy Santa Claus~


The centerpiece is a floral arrangement, candle and tea canister on a glass cake stand surrounded by a berry wreath.


There was fresh Italian Panettone too~


If you have never tried panettone look for it in stores and bakeries now. It is wonderful toasted!


The creamer was dressed in a beaded crochet doily and there were British style Crackers on the dessert tier nestled next to tiny candy canes.



Aren't the holly leaves on the teacups pretty?


Christians consider holly symbolic of Jesus Christ in two ways. The red berries represent the blood that Jesus shed on the cross on the day he was crucified. Legend states that holly berries were originally white, but that the blood Christ shed for the sins of humankind stained the berries forever red. A holly's pointed leaves symbolize the crown of thorns placed on Jesus' head before he died on the cross.


I have two Cup Of Christmas Tea cup and saucer sets...perfect for me and a friend.


'She poured two cups. She smiled, and then she handed one to me. And then we settled back and had a cup of Christmas Tea.'




I am excited to announce the random winner of my Blog Anniversary Give away! Susanne was number 5.

Thank you so much, ladies, for helping me to celebrate one year of blogging!


I am sharing this teatime post with:
                                  Miss Spencer's St Nick Tea
                         Wanda Lee's Gingerbread Tea
      Here are the supplies we used to make our gingerbread house~


                           Another view of our yummy house~

17 comments:

  1. What a lovely tea table you have set - that soup sounds amazing! I need to pick up some salad/dessert plates to coordinate with my Christmas China - I have to say that the tartan is a tempting choice - thanks for the inspiration. And last but not least, thanks for the giveawy. Waking up to see I won has made my day. Hugs, Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy, Your setting is so inviting.
    Beautiful and all those wonderful baked goods.
    I think I just gained a pound looking at them LOL
    Keep smiling and creating

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Shawn,
    What a wonderful tea table! The soup and roll-ups look really good and so does the panettone! Love the teacups! Everything looks so festive and delightful. Thanks so much for sharing this with my Christmas Tea. Hope you are having a splendid week.

    Christmas blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Shawn, Love your pretty tea cozy! Love the teapot and tea cup as well, and your high tea looks absolutely fabulous. Your soup looks so pretty with the sprig of rosemary.
    Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post is delicious! Yum! What a lovely table setting. I think your Tea cozy is gorgeous and perfect for this time of year. The tea cup is so adorable! I love it!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a LOVELY table, Shawn!!! Everything looks so festive and I KNOW it must smell and taste delicious, too! You have done a lovely job with your blog all year and this is such a delightful way to celebrate! Thank you for sharing with all of us.....and, BIG CONGRATS to Susanne!

    Sending BIG HUGS!
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet post! Thank You so much for joining us on our month-long, multi-post journey!
    Enjoying our "cups of Christmas tea"
    Rose & Rhissanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful tea. I love your penguin, and I love the book and your matching teapot! Your menu looks scrumptious! I love your striped tea cozy too! Thanks for sharing your wonderful tea!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to the winner of your giveaway! I have the book "A Cup of Christmas Tea" but not the teapot or teacup. I love them! Thanks for stopping by and entering my giveaway. I'm your newest follower!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! Christmas Crackers! With tea! I love those pretty Holly tea cups. The tea sounds so mice on a cold day like today. Thank you for bringing this to Steam tea Travels.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I'm responding to your comment on my tea post last week. Thanks so much for visiting. I love your tea post. What a lovely table, teacup and all the pretty decorations. I also love the Christmas tags you are making. They are so pretty! Have a blessed week. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful post, Shawn! Your gingerbread house is really cute!

    Christmas blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Shawn,
    you made a wonderful christmas tea for us. I love the story and the tea cups. And for sure I love the beautiful gingerbread house. Oreo Roof - that calls my name! We get also here Panettone and I agree - it is fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
    Season Greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your gingerbread house is wonderful and I love your teacup and tea pot ... one of my favorite books! Delightful table for Christmas tea. Happy Tea Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your tea table sets the mood. There is just something about gingerbread houses that wake up the kid in all of us. I have never tried that bread before and I'll look for it. Lovely Holly cup,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty Christmas tea cup. Your food looks so yummy and your table is set beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun, cheerful and yummy tea you are sharing with us! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you visited and really appreciate your comments. I'll put a fire under the kettle and you choose which tea we'll steep~