Eggs are nutritious and there are some nifty things you can do with the leftover shells. But first, ever wonder why it is easy to peel hard boiled eggs sometimes, while at other times you end up with a mangled egg? Two things to keep in mind:
- Put salt in the water before boiling. The eggs will be easier to peel, the salt stops the egg from leaking out if the egg cracks while boiling and adds to the flavor too.
- Older eggs are easier to peel. If you can avoid boiling the eggs on the same day you buy them, do it!
I left the egg shells to soak for 48 hours.
and
The result was mediocre. I obtained better whitening with a bit of baking soda and water. However, all was not lost. I used the eggshell mixture to water the garden because it is a nice calcium boost for the plants! Check out this link for 10 uses of leftover egg shells. Have any nifty egg shell tips to pass on?
With the weather beginning to heat up I tend to stay inside and, like our blooming Four O' Clocks, come out when the sun heads west! I've been creating cards with a little set of stamps from We R Memory Keepers. The set gives one the option of changing the sentiment for your favorite hobby...now if I just had the option of "Keep Calm and Put the Kettle On" I'd be tickled pink!
Made this one with my knitting pal, Anne, in mind. I even wove a length of yarn through the lacy circle and added a glittery button.
Although it comes across as navy on my pc screen, the plaid is dark purple and the floral is Anna Griffin.
I used blues, greens, bakery twine and some pearls on this card. The doily edge was made with a Martha Stewart punch and the bee is a K&Co die cut.
sharing this post with~
Mosaic Monday with Mary
Elaine at Sunny, Simple Life







Love eggs...great info...thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteHave a great week.
Love,
Linda
looks like a handy stamp set to have. great cards. I've never tried the eggshells for stains--I've been using vinegar.
ReplyDeleteThat's some interest info about egg shells! I had forgotten how good the crushed shells were for the garden. I'll have to start doing that again! Your cards are so cute! Thanks for popping in to see me and be a sweetie,
ReplyDeleteShelia ;)
I've been saving my egg shells to crush into small bits and scatter over the dirt around my tomato plants, as they seems to like the extra calcium they get from doing that. I've also heard that placing a bit of clean eggshell in coffee grounds, before brewing the coffee, will help cut back on bitterness.
ReplyDeleteYour cards are lovely! I was once a big rubber stamp fan and have hundreds of them. Sadly they've collected dust since I began blogging. I hope to be able to get back to using them again one day!
PS I love Barry's Tea brand--I see you have it on your sidebar. I discovered it on a trip to Ireland.
Wonderful fun idea.Thank you so much for your encouragement with My surgery and recovery.A new start for Me.Denise
ReplyDeleteto remove tea stains I find Mr. Clean white sponge is perfect. Swipe it around any tea stain and it disappears. In fact those sponges are good for almost everything with out using chemicals or abrasive products. If you don't have any, cream of tartar was what I used to use before the white sponges came along. It works well on tea stains, too.
ReplyDeleteHere in the Northwest, and without air-conditioning, I find that if I shut all the windows by 8 a.m. it stays cool until the evening breezes begin. I try to get everything done that takes me out of the house by 8 or 9. Then it is indoor recreation for me! Reading, sewing, blogging, etc.
BTW, the colors are as you describe on my Mac. Love the purple tartan.
Micupoftea,
ReplyDeleteWhat an informative post about eggs! One of my mottos is, "Learn something new everyday!" Your post fulfilled my motto for today! Thanks! I see you do scrapbooking and card making! I closed my 'Studio One' Handmade Cards with a Vintage Flair business in January. Love Anna Griffin papers!!! Thanks for your sweet comment and visit recently On Crooked Creek. I do hope you'll stop by again soon...change is constant!
Fondly,
Pat
love the keep calm sayings :)
ReplyDeletegreat egg tips...I didn't know salt heped..I wondered why the heck it was harder to peel than other times, I must have forgotten the salt. Love the cards. Have a Happy week... Mica @ The Child's Paper
ReplyDeleteA nice post!
ReplyDeleteMarkus
What sweet cards honey, love the touches of yarn and pretty doilies! Lovely, thanks for those tips and links! Who knew egg shells were so useful!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the egg tips! That's great! Hey come check out my blog at http://lifeofblocks.blogspot.com/2012/07/sunshine-award.html
ReplyDeleteI have an award for you!!
Blessings, Anastasia
Eggs...interesting post. I remember eating a hard boiled egg from an egg cup as being one of my favorite things when I was a kid. We didn't have much cereal unless we made oatmeal or cream of wheat. Eggs were a treat.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the memory prompt this morning.
Lovely cards.
such cute cards! I LOVE the sentiments:) Great ribbon treatment, too.
ReplyDelete