Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, July 2, 2012

Yankee Doodle Afternoon

 I'm a Yankee Doodle dandy,
A Yankee Doodle, do or die;

July is here! This week everyone in the United States celebrates the founding of our nation, while over at Martha's Favorites there is also a celebration for Teacup Tuesday's 120th edition. 


Handyman (hubby), College Girl and I had a nice dinner outside. We are quite a patriotic family and have our own 20 foot tall telescoping flagpole in the backyard.


 A real live nephew of my Uncle Sam's,
Born on the Fourth of July

Veggie hot dogs with sour kraut and mustard, salad, baked beans, and corn on the cob was on the menu today.


 I've got a Yankee Doodle sweetheart,
She's my Yankee Doodle joy.

I used replicas of the Constitution as temporary place mats, and we spent some time reading the monumental document, as well as The Bill of Rights. When we were growing up, schools only briefly touched on the Constitution, and, because of this cursory treatment, I feel it is quite under-appreciated. It is a marvel!


I love quilts - have made a few myself! - and I thought this gorgeous red, white and blue wedding ring quilt would make a nice decoration while we dined, then a perfect lap covering during dessert and tea from Adagio. The Patriotic Blend from Adagio is a mix of blueberry, rooibos berry and Fujian White Pear. The Fujian is from China and tastes like a freshly baked pear: warm and aromatic. It went well with both the strawberry shortcake and apple pie.


 Yankee Doodle came to London,
Just to ride the ponies,
 
The cups we used are Victorian Chintz by Burleigh, made in England. The red rose print coordinated perfectly with the table colors!


This gives new meaning to 'tea candle'...I nestled little candles in small dishes of loose tea! But there was also a tall red candle ready for duty~


I love colorful bunting but we have no place on the front of the house to hang it. My solution: Hang it on the wrought iron fence in back with red ribbons. Can you spot the cozy-covered teapot? It is dressed up in strawberry fabric.


I am a Yankee Doodle boy


I think I'll have another cup of Patriotic Tea and settle back to watch Sergeant York with Gary Cooper, one of my favorite movies. Happy 4th of July!



Keeping all those affected by wildfire and inclement weather in thought and prayer...be safe!


sharing this post with:
Martha's Favorites 
Artful Affirmations 
Rose Chintz Cottage 
Mosaic Monday 
Antiques and Teacups 
Share Your Cup Thursday with Mrs. Olson 
Honey, We're Home 
Sunny Simple Life with Elaine 

20 comments:

  1. What a sweet table! Charming and patriotic! Have a wonderful 4th of July! Oh and I love your placemats too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your tablescape and the red and white quilt. The Burleigh teacup is so pretty. I've never seen that pattern before. I'm going to keep a look out for it.
    Happy 4th!
    ~Clara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely collection of red, white and blue! I also enjoyed your post with the spode cup, grahams and pecans. Now I'm hungry for a graham! :)
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in love with your Yankee Doodle and the wonderful patriotic table scape. Love the teapot plates, your beautiful quilt, the wonderful teacups. Well done! Happy 4th of July and Happy Tea Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning! I just love your table setting. I too, am a big red, white and blue person. That Double Wedding Ring Quilt is beautiful. Years ago, I use to teach quilting. I know you might not believe this, but I have a rather large collection of quilts. I use them on every bed, every day. There is something so comforting about them. Have a wonderful 4th. So happy we have gotten to know each other. Blessings to you and your family. Martha

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post...and a fab table! Awesome! I LOVE the teapot plate!!!! Burleigh is such a favorite! I am a cross stitcher, not a quilter, but my sister is. Sounded like a perfect menu as well! Have a great 4th (and the rest of the week). Thanks for sharing and linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful tea honoring the USA. I got a smile on my face when I saw the coke bottles, they go so well with all the decorations, and sure enjoy it! Beautiful quilt you made. I've only made patchwork quilts. Happy fourth to you!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good afternoon Shawn,
    I love your tablescape! Even though I'm Canadian, I still enjoy seeing all the American tablescapes. Love your "tea" candle! And of course, the Burleigh teacup sets my heart a-flutter! I have three of those same cups but no saucers. *sigh* Hopefully, someday, I will find at least one. Thanks for sharing this with Tea Time and Happy 4th of July to you and your family.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! I just love this post, I enjoyed everything you shared! Oh goodness, I just fell for the Burleigh teacup set, just gorgeous! Thank you for your visit you left a smile on my face, lovely friend! Have a very HAPPY 4TH. OF JULY, along with your family!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart always longs for home on the Fourth of July!!
    Your celebration displays and tablesettings are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many great items. I think you should be an interior designer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for dropping by! I enjoyed your wonderful patriotic patio tea. My eye immediately went to your quilt! Beautiful. Your "tea candle" is cute! Love Uncle Sam too! Have a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Shawn, I will be featuring your fun 4th of July patio tea at Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. A glorious 4th - 5th, and 6th - and while you're mentioning it - a glorious August 8th. That's when our hometown that was so broken apart by that derecho storm a week ago will be celebrating the 4th of July this year. How I would love to take a few inspired ideas from your tablescape here for our big day! Presently, though, we'll be cutting down lots of split and exploded trees and waiting for power to be restored. My dad still doesn't have power where he lives in the neighborhood I grew up in. So, with no celebrations here, I am so happy to join in your festive photos - love all the little touches - especially the parchment documents!!
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yours is the first double wedding ring that I've seen in red, white and blue and I love...love...love it!
    Good old Uncle Sam is looking pretty dapper centered on your summer table!
    thanks for sharing your patriotic table, my friend!
    Stars and Stripes forever!
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
  16. very lovely, I love all your patriotic suave. Nice job, I love love love it. Visiting via Sunny Simple Sunday...Mica @ The Child's Paper

    ReplyDelete
  17. Red white and blue is my fave. I love to use it this time of year but we have a room in those colors all year. Love your style. Just perfect for July.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for linking up- so festive!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a FABULOUS 4th tablescape! LOVE the mix of patterns:)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you visited and really appreciate your comments. I'll put a fire under the kettle and you choose which tea we'll steep~