Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Finishing Touches


I love Colonial homes...something like this surrounded by trees with an herb, vegetable and cutting garden in the back, as well as a dovecote. Alas, in California, homes such as these are rare. Instead, we usually have stucco covered homes with red tiled roofs and garages facing the street. We live in the wrong part of the country for elegant Colonial style houses. The good news is that I can decorate the inside of our home with the historical touches I love. My artistic side is usually limited to cake decorating, scrap booking and sewing, but I have been known to paint a wall mural and try my hand at other things if the need  arises. I could not find a floral arrangement I liked for the niche in the foyer so I made one~



What do you think for my first try? I used a blue and white vase and went to work! There are cream colored roses and white day lilies. I like using a bit of Chinoiserie among our late 18th Century decor. I think the crisp blue and white looks fabulous with cherry and tiger maple furniture, paint-grained frames, pewter pieces and banjo clocks. I gathered pictures that were scattered around the house, along with a new clock, and laid them out on the floor. I rearranged them until I liked the design, then Handyman put them up on the living room wall. I really like how it turned out! 




The pictures on the far left and far right are actually authentic documents that have a hand painted image on them. You can see one of my prized furniture pieces on the left of the sofa. It is a mini tiger maple chest on frame. I love it! 

  
The chest of drawers can be lifted off the skirted frame below, which makes it easy to move. I'm going to get a small tassel to hang from the top drawer pull. 



 




sharing this post with~
It's Overflowing 


14 comments:

  1. I think your talent is limitless!! Love those flowers you arranged.
    Gorgeous inside peeps. Keep smiling and creating. Always dream BIG!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those houses do look wonderful!
    I love your flower arrangement, you did a great job on that!
    I also love your frame arrangement!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the kind of homes you like are usually found in the Eastern part of the USA. I'm from NY so there you can find lots of that style. You are so talented, I totally love the flower arrangement. I have an ilongated, antique flower bowl from my Mil I'd love to have a faux arrangement in it, but don't know what to do.
    The frame arrangement is great too. Happy Sunday.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the others, a beautiful job on the flower arrangement. Love the chest of drawers. The wall arrangement is also very pleasing to the eye.
    Enjoy your week, Lu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post is so lovely...as well as your decorating taste! You have created such a charming colonial atmosphere in your home. Your touches of blue, rich curvy lines, soft florals and lovely wall arrangements are absolutely beautiful!
    It is such a pleassure getting to know you, my friend!
    How I love Isaiah 41:10...I prayed that scripture many times when my son was in Bosnia and Iraq. God was so faithful and He held my son in the palm of His mighty hand through it all.
    Blessings and thank you for your kind comment and visit on my blog!
    Carolynn xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your floral arrangement is absolutely beautiful, Shawn. And I LOVE what you did with the wall! Very artistic and pleasing to the eye. The chest of drawers is a GREAT piece of furniture. LOVELY, LOVELY, LOVELY!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. That floral arrangement is exquisite! What a lovely home ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a great designer my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW That house looks AMAZING i love houses like That to, do beautiful!! Your house looks so wonderful inside! And you are à very good floral arrageger!!! It looks stunning!!!
    Love from The Netherlands,
    Leintje*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flowers are fantastic. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so lovely, and it kind of reminds me of some of the furishings that my Great Aunt Bunna had in her home near Ft. Wayne, Indiana~

    ReplyDelete
  12. You interior deco and flower arrangment are fabulous Shawn! I'm painting my living this week and hopefully to finish this weekend so thanks for the inspirations :)
    Hugs!
    Asmah

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love colonial and prim decor. I agree that home architecture here is not as lovely as in the east. That tiger maple piece is just stunning. What a rich tone of the wood. Love it!! Thanks so much for sharing it with all of us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that house :0) Your first flower arrangement turned out fabulous! LOVE the colors and the blue and white pot. That is one beautiful piece of furniture!! LOVE the color of the wood, love the grain (what ever they call it). Fabby picture arrangement!
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you visited and really appreciate your comments. I'll put a fire under the kettle and you choose which tea we'll steep~