Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Drying Roses

The coming months will bring occasions for us to give or receive roses - Mother's Day, wedding and baby showers, graduation and award ceremonies as well as summer anniversaries. For this Pink Saturday  I thought I'd share a how to  article on drying roses!



Click here to read about two basic ways to dry roses : air drying while hanging, or using silica gel to preserve them. While doing a little research online I read that you can also use basic white glue and sand - news to me! A friend of mine uses her microwave and silica gel, but it requires some trial and error to get this method right for various rose size and colors. Do you have a food dehydrator collecting dust forgotten in the back of a cupboard? Those work well for drying roses.



Have a rosy Saturday!



sharing this post with:

15 comments:

  1. I have to tell you those rose petals are so pretty and the glass! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The container for your petals is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of the glue and sand method. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rosy Shawn!!!!! I absolutely LOVED reading about how to dry roses! I never heard of any of these methods, and found them very interesting, indeed! The only thing I ever did was let them sit on the kitchen table until dry! LOL!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing - your blog is always so interesting and filled with wonderful things! I hope you are having a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rose petals are very pretty, and I'd love to learn how to dry roses. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love drying roses too. I hang them to dry and placed in big vases.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dried roses look so pretty in this glass bottle! I used to hang mine upside down in bundles in our shed. They turned out good and looked so pretty hanging.

    Thank you for the suggestion on using a ladder on the top of the booth. I would have liked to do something like that because I've seen it at other antique mall booths and like the look. They say you can't go higher than your booth walls here, so that kills that idea! I think once I get the bifold doors from my friend and paint them, it will help fill at least one corner and give me some height. I also saw dress forms at Christmas Tree Shop for $59.00 so I'm thinking of getting one of those for my aprons {also to add height and fill in space}. It's definitely a learning experience!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thanks for the information on drying roses. Yours look so pretty in the jar. I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the comments- Would love you to join me too! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hiya, Shawn!! Catching up finally - after a hectic month that ended with a vacation and now, if I wasn't completely buried before I am now! Slowly making the rounds finally and I've been wanting to see what you've been up to! All things lovely and creative! Your cards are always so fun and creative - I love how you layer them. I'm still growing in my collages - your work inspires me every time! I was particularly fascinated by your blooming foliage! Here in Jersey, it's still chilly - though temperatures in the 70's expected this week! Few buds and lots of late blooming daffodils and tulips. Looking pretty lush where you are. Here's hoping on at my end of the country!
    Joy to you!!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have good luck drying the rose right in their vase or hanging them up to dry. Yours look so pretty in the jar. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Shawn!
    Your dried roses are so pretty and I love the bottle they are in. I saw one just like yours at a second hand store and left it..went back and it was gone. I've felt bad about that ever since.
    ~Clara

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous post! I love dried roses! Have some in Liz's room:) They are so sweet and so very Victorian!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you visited and really appreciate your comments. I'll put a fire under the kettle and you choose which tea we'll steep~