![]() |
| HENS AND CHICKS |
I went outside today to put water in the birdbath and to try out one of the chalk ideas I recently read about. While I was out there I noticed the Hens And Chicks are blooming up a storm! This shallow rock garden originally came together with three succulents, sandy soil and some rocks. Within a few months two of the plants outgrew the dish so I transferred them to other pots. Now the Hens and Chicks are threatening to do the same! The plant below is called Bear Paw.
![]() |
| BEAR PAWS |
Don't the little leaves look like baby bear paws? It is one of the succulents I had to transplant. Look who was watching me take photos - a Western Fence Lizard!
The third succulent is a Jade plant, and after I moved it into a new pot it grew into a mini tree! It's the tall one in the back of the photo below.
The third succulent is a Jade plant, and after I moved it into a new pot it grew into a mini tree! It's the tall one in the back of the photo below.
So, what was I doing with chalk?
I used it to draw lines outside the back door to keep ants away.
I read an article the other day about unique ways to use chalk. Keep a stick of chalk in the laundry room, near the work bench, in the kitchen and hang a bundle of it in a damp, musty area.
sharing this post with:
Favorite Things
Home Sweet Home
Time Travel Thursday
Share Your Cup
Wow Us Wednesday
Freedom Fridays
Feathered Nest Fridays
SHow and Tell







Thanks for tips on using chalk. I was aware that it does keep ants away.
ReplyDeleteI'm visiting via Thursday Favorite Things and your newest Follower :)
~ Jill
http://www.frugalplus.com/
Gorgeous succulents! Keep us updated on the success of the chalk experiment.....or lack thereof. Gentle hugs!
ReplyDeleteYour Succulents are positively BEAUTIFUL!! Your garden is amazing-you grow hydrangeas and succulents!!
ReplyDeleteThis is a really neat little tip!
Hugs!
Jemma
I don't know what it is with me and hens and chicks. I love them but have the hardest time getting them to do well. Right now my little pot has only 3! On the other hand, jade trees flourish. Chalk, huhn? I'lll give it a try on a white shirt when I do laundry today.
ReplyDeleteThanks for linking up at Thursday Favorite things hop. I would also like to invite you to stop by We Three Crabs on Tuesdays and link up any post that can be pinned for Pinterest Tuesday. This post would be a lovely addition.
ReplyDeleteErica
We Three Crabs
I love succulents! Yours are looking great. And I'll have to try the chalk trick for ants, because we have a mini-invasion going on right now.
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure your "No Ants" sign will work! :-) Seriously, I did not know that about ants and chalk, and will share that with my niece, who has been having some issues with them. Your hens and chicks look so wonderful! My sister grows those in pots on her porch... I should try some this year.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful plants and I even like the lizard!
ReplyDeletelovely succulents. The chalk tips are terrific!! Thank you for sharing at the hop, your participation makes the hop extra special. Big Hugs P.S. the new giveaway will be posted tomorrow!
ReplyDeletePerfect hints for me! We are having problems in the Portland area BIG TIME with ants this year. Our weather was too mild this past winter, so the ants are going crazy. I've lived in this house for 37 years and have only had ant problems 2x's.
ReplyDeleteLove your plants. Do you have lots of lizards?
Linda
What a great idea for the chalk. I get that talcum powder stuff at Ace for them, but chalk would work the same. Your succulents are just gorgeous! Love them:) Our javelinas eat them here. It's hard to keep them.
ReplyDeleteWOW talk about not knowing anything! These are amazing chalk tips for sure! thanks for sharing them...they are awesome! I am so sorry that I have not been to visit...think of you often! Life has been so crazy for so long now! Hope to see you more often and I LOVE THE succulents...they look FABULOUS!!! sending hugs and tea! : )
ReplyDeleteShawn your succulants are gorgeous! I usually don't like the blooms on my hens and chicks, but yours are rather pretty. Interesting about the chalk. I will try that for the ants. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
ReplyDeletehugs,
Jann