Whew! We've been having Santa Ana Winds this week with warm temperatures. However, when we woke today they were gone and I hope we've seen the last of them until fall. For those of you not familiar with these irritating annual winds, they blow through southern California from fall through spring.
The National Weather Service defines Santa Ana winds as 'strong down slope winds that blow through
the mountain passes from the high desert.' These winds, which can
easily exceed 50 mph, are warm and dry and can severely exacerbate brush
or forest fires.
We've lost roof tiles and window screens during the overnight howling gusts, and one year we awoke to find our backyard fence had been blown over!
Since all was calm today, I decided to do some light gardening. I planted Pansy seed around the Poppies.
Pansies have long been flowers of remembrance. Indeed, they have often been placed upon memorial markers.
Handyman lugged the potting soil out from the garage for me so I could plant some bulbs in our new rooster pot. I found this charming pot at JoAnn fabrics, of all places, and it was sixty percent off! Originally $34, I bought it for $13.99.
It has handles, which is unique, and also has a raised rooster on both sides. I planted Gladiolus bulbs in it. I think it would look fabulous full of Chrysanthemums in autumn, don't you?
I have a Gardening To Do list :
- plant Sweet Pea and Hollyhock seed
- plant Morning Glory and Four O' Clock seed
- add one or two plants to the Fairy garden (seen on the right, above)
- cut back spent Iris
- plant our old, non-working fountain with flowers
- clean bird baths
- decide if we are going to replace dying Jasmine vine or prune it and hope for the best
Named for the shape of their leaves, gladioli – from the Latin word
“gladius,” meaning sword – have a history than spans from Africa to the
Mediterranean. Symbolizing strength and moral integrity, gladioli also
represent infatuation.
sharing this post with-
Sunny Simple Sunday
Sunday Show Off




Lovely gardening post ~ looking forward to some warm weather to plant deck pots ~ still too cool ~ ^_^
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely post :) I was just out in my garden yesterday planting some violas, I just love them :)
ReplyDeleteI love your little fairy pot! Cute! I grew up in Pomona and really rememberthose winds, yuck, sand and dust. Nancy @ Little Homestead In Boise
ReplyDeleteI can feel the warmth! I love the rooster pot. It was pretty here this weekend but cold. . . in the 40s. Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteWow! I know you must feel like you have found the best deal ever with the lovely "Rooster Pot"! You know that I love pansies....but I am very fond of morning glories, too.....they will always remind me of our early days in our marriage. I planted them in our tiny patio of the town house that we rented, and we awoke to a beautiful sight every morning! Big hugs Shawn!
ReplyDeleteI love your "to do" list! I need to get started, too! I think Spring is finally here. Your rooster pot is fabulous!!!!!
ReplyDeleteSuch a sweet little card, and that tuck in pocket is wonderful! I dropped by to find the Easel Card Tut you did, and got lost skimming through the past few months. Your blog is so beautiful~ so colorful and unique I could dream my way through it for hours if only life would let me :)
ReplyDelete