Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, April 12, 2013

The Poetry Of Being Four Years Old~

The greatest poem ever known
Is one all poets have outgrown:
The poetry, innate, untold,
Of being only four years old.
~Christopher Morley

A few days ago Handyman was helping me spade a small area of dirt where we planned to plant gladiolus bulbs. Our soil is virtually solid clay, so it takes a bit of elbow grease to break up the chunks, remove rocks, then mix in mulch and some nice bagged soil. We chatted as we dug, turned and examined the dirt. Handyman lifted something from the patch in front of his knees. What could possible be bright yellow this far down? He rubbed the object in his gloved hand.


Flounder from The Little Mermaid movie!

Handyman and I looked at each other; this 'artifact' was a reminder of our sweet daughter's childhood. She must have been playing with her Little Mermaid figurines in the backyard years ago. Somehow Flounder was left outside in what had been a patch of Lambs Ears. Perhaps younger College Girl thought it was a great place for him to 'swim' or take a nap.  


I have Flounder sitting on a shelf in the kitchen now. He makes me smile. Every time I see this colorful little toy I think of the small child who would climb on my lap for a story, hold my hand wherever we walked, and call me by her own affectionate nickname for me. I think Flounder is going to have a permanent spot in our display cabinet once he gets a bath - he still has a little bit of childhood playtime dirt clinging to him! Or, maybe I'll leave him just as he is~

College Girl as a child
 I made this scrapbook layout using eyelet, my sewing machine, and hand made 'lollipop' flowers. I doodled around the perimeter and cut the title out with my Cricut. 



 I'd give all wealth that years have piled,
The slow result of Life's decay,
To be once more a little child
For one bright summer day.
~Lewis Carroll



 

20 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! That first pic of Flounder made me smile!

    They all grow up too fast, don't they!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how precious. I love your SWEET sheet, too!

    I can't wait to learn my Cricut. It's almost mid-April and it's never been out of the box yet!

    Happy weekend,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, this is a super sweet post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so touching and so sweet!
    Thank you for sharing this!

    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post so much. How sweet to find a little reminder of that small girl who used to hold a large chunk of your heart--and still does.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed this post and poem. Have a great day!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it amazing how one little token can take one back in time? What a sweet reminder of a younger day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shawn, so sweet! Love the page you created for college girl's childhood picture. I love going back through the scrapbooks I made and seeing my children when they were little. Finding Flounder would make me smile too. Our home is located on once was an old farmstead. One day while gardening I dug up a plastic green soldier. I smiled thinking that a young boy had him figting a battle here. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, that is so sweet :) Flounder must be there for a reason. He is now part of your priceless memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet reminder of your daughter's childhood! Lost is now found. Love the scrape book page of your daughter too. Have a great weekend, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. This made me want to cry....in a happy way! My oldest son is about to turn 11 & I have twins on the way. He looks bigger & bigger everyday. Thank you for this sweet post =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is so sweet!!! Thank you for sharing your lovely blog at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Teary-eyed reading this as I have had some of these time travel experiences with remnants of my own children's fleeting childhood. Oh! Didn't we think they'd be little forever when they were! Married daughter lives in town and I see her a couple times a week but, she doesn't come home with me anymore - so strange to get used to. Number One Son is out of state - all grown with so many responsibilities. I'm so glad I have a memory box room in the basement filled with their childhood treasures.

    Speaking of treasures - I got one in the mail yesterday - from YOU! Oh! Talk about teary-eyed! I was speechless for a moment to think I was the recipient of such a beautiful handmade gift! And - a sheep, no less - all in keeping with my meditations of late and the play we're working on. Thank you soooooo much for thinking of me in such a precious and generous way! I've featured it in my Pink Saturday post - which I'm still working on, by the way - so check it out later tonight. Blessings, friend -
    Joy - Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. How precious! Hope you're having a nice week. I've posted the new Homemaking Party for the week and would love to have you link up, if you'd like!

    Blessings,
    Mrs. Sarah Coller

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your dear college girl is a beauty! The little fish makes me smile. Thank you for dropping by to comment, I appreciate it very much sweet lady. Have a great week.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely story Shawn! The LO is precious, too! Precious little CG before she was CG! Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Shawn! Your post brought tears to my eyes! I love how you and handyman found this artifact from "College Girl's" childhood! And I love how you have it displayed now, too! The layout your created is just beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a special and sweet story! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  19. First at all, thank you very much for your recent comment! It's so funny that I visited today because we watched. a very old VCR of The Little Mermaid with our grandson today that bought for our adult daughters years ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Shawn - This sweet post brought tears to my eyes. How wonderful to find something so sweet and unexpected in your garden that belonged to your sweet daughter. Yes..place it so carefully on the cabinet in your kitchen and every time you see it...just smile! The layout is also gorgeous!!!
    xoxo Ginger

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you visited and really appreciate your comments. I'll put a fire under the kettle and you choose which tea we'll steep~