Top of the Morning to You! This post is from March 2012. The Irish part of me is sad to be spending the day on the sofa nursing a sore leg instead of dancing a reel and baking soda bread, but I could not let St. Patrick's Day go by without sharing a bit of the green on my blog!
It's
the second week of March, and in our house that means Irish Soda Bread.
After lunch today College Girl got the ingredients out to make a fresh
loaf of bread: buttermilk, flour, baking soda and salt.
Always remember to forget the troubles that passed away, but never forget the blessings that come each day
If you
have not made soda bread before you may be surprised at how few
ingredients are needed and how simple it is! I turned to one of my
favorite recipes from the May 1996 Bon Appetit magazine.
May you be poor in misfortune, rich in blessings, slow to make enemies, and quick to make friends~
To make the White Soda Bread you need~
- 3 and 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
1 and 1/2 cup buttermilk
Combine
dry ingredients. I usually put my baking soda through a strainer to
alleviate lumps. Pour buttermilk into the dry ingredients, stir until
large clumps form.
Turn out onto floured surface and knead for one minute. Shape into 6" by 2" round~
Place
round on cookie sheet. I prefer to sprinkle cornmeal on the cookie
sheet under the dough, but I did not have any on hand today so I used
parchment.
Cut an 'X' in the
top; bake for about 34 minutes at 425 degrees. Loaf should be browned
and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
May
those that love us, love us; and those that don't love us, may God turn
their hearts; if he can't turn there hearts, then may he turn their
ankles, so we'll know them by their limp~
When the bread was cool it was time for a cup of tea!
This afternoon we had Lyon's Gold Blend tea.
With
good Irish butter and some blackberry preserves, we had a snack any
leprechaun would trade some gold for, don't you think? A red-headed
'cailin', or girl, joins us with flowers in her hair~
She wears a claddagh on her dress and around her neck~
Her green eyes sparkle and her cheeks are kissed with freckles~
She dances jigs and reels. 'Da' (Dad) plays the bodhran and she plays simple tunes on her whistle~
Her curls bounce when she laughs~
She was lovely and fair as the rose of the summer,
Yet 'twas not her beauty alone that won me,
Oh, no, 'twas the truth in her eyes ever beaming
That made me love Mary, the Rose of Tralee.
The cool shades of evening their mantle were spreading,
And Mary, all smiling, was list'ning to me.
The moon through the valley her pale rays was shedding
When I won the heart of the Rose of Tralee.
Yet 'twas not her beauty alone that won me,
Oh, no, 'twas the truth in her eyes ever beaming
That made me love Mary, the Rose of Tralee.
The cool shades of evening their mantle were spreading,
And Mary, all smiling, was list'ning to me.
The moon through the valley her pale rays was shedding
When I won the heart of the Rose of Tralee.
W. P. Mulchinock
For each petal on the shamrock this brings a wish your way.
Good health, good luck, and happiness for today and every day~
Good health, good luck, and happiness for today and every day~
On
the table was our Slainte shamrock. Slainte is a spoken Irish toast and
literally means 'health'. A quick online check for the pronunciation
gave me: Sláinte means 'health' in Gaelic and the pronunciation depends
on your dialect.
In the South and West you'd say "slawnt-yeh" or "slant-yeh", in the North it's "slain-cheh".
In the South and West you'd say "slawnt-yeh" or "slant-yeh", in the North it's "slain-cheh".
The tea was hot, the bread was warm and the company was sweet! We used our claddagh footed mugs ~
May you be forty years in heaven before the devil knows you're dead~
~which have shamrocks on the reverse side~
The handles are sweetly curved~ There is no mark on the bottom, so I don't know the manufacturer.
Do you
do something to celebrate St. Patrick's Day? I'm not one for green beer
but would love to try the recipes for Baked Cabbage, Potato Soup or
Apple Blackberry Pie I spotted in the magazine!
May
the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the
sun shine warm upon your face, the rains fall soft upon the fields.
And, until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of his hand.
![]() |
| musical LEFTON CHINA teacup |
Fresh bread eaten at our kitchen table - great joy in simple pleasures!
sharing with:
Sunny Simple Sunday
Share Your Cup
Seasonal Sundays
Let's Get Social Sunday
A Bouquet of Talent
Make It Pretty Monday
Marthas Favorites
Artful Affirmations
Share Your Cup
Seasonal Sundays
Let's Get Social Sunday
A Bouquet of Talent
Make It Pretty Monday
Marthas Favorites
Artful Affirmations


I truly enjoyed this post, so full of history and life. I feel your passion for your rich Irish heritage. While I'm a redheaded part-Irish Kelley, we grew up with no annual St. Patty's Day traditions as these. But forget to wear green? *pinch*
ReplyDeleteThanks, too, for the lovely Irish blessing! Ditto to you!
Kelley~
I hope you will be up and about soon....
ReplyDeleteLove your sweet Irish Lass!!
Thanks so much for stopping by!! We are supposed to get 4 more inches of snow tomorrow too!! UGH!!
Hugs,
Debbie
WOW! You're ALL DECKED OUT for St Pat's Day! That bread looks delicious! And I love the cup and saucer. Perfect for today!
ReplyDeleteI think I'll go put on my St. Patrick's scarf now! That's my only tradition since I am not a wee bit Irish. Your doll is gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteLove the look of the bread!
ReplyDeleteHere's mine:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=322361607885961&set=a.223634507758672.46735.222442234544566&type=1&theater
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Ohhhh, everything looks GREAT! The bread, the decor and the DOLL! Oh, stop my rapidly beating heart. She is GORGEOUS. (Can you tell I'm a doll lover?) Thanks you much for sharing!
ReplyDeleteAnd thanks for visiting my blog and commenting today, too! Loved having you stop by. Susan
Your doll is beautiful! Looks like my little gdau!
ReplyDeleteHope you are feeling better, and thanks for adding this lovely post to the 5th Annual St. Pat's Blog Crawl!
Slainte'
The bread turned out beautifully! I've never eaten soda bread and will have to try this sometimes. Your little lassie is adorable. Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
ReplyDeletebe a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
This post made me smile! So much Irish love in here! The bread, tea and of course friends and family! Thank you so much for joining Gratitude Sunday!
ReplyDeletehugs,
Linda
You know, this is so darling of a post and such a neat recipe as well! What a perfect way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day!!
ReplyDeleteI am sorry to hear you aren't well-please get better very soon!
Hugs!
Jemma
May you always walk in sunshine.
ReplyDeleteMay you never want for more
May Irish angels rest their wings right outside your door.
Hope you had a happy and productive St. Patrick's Day, Shawn!
Your Irish Girl is lovely!!
ReplyDeleteWe had a beautiful St. Patrick's Day - it looks like you did as well!!
Ahhh - nothing is better than good Soda bread with butter and honey!!
Love the doll...and making bread intimidates me..but the soda bread recipe looks wonderful and doable for me!!
ReplyDeleteHave great week!
I knew I should of ate before visiting :0) Looks delsih!! I love all your St. Patrick's day goodies! The tea cup set is fabby! I love green!
ReplyDeleteHugs
Heather
Lovely Shawn! I made Irish soda bread too...and forgot to take a photo! Duh...and it didn't last long enough to be there when I remembered. Sigh....I am sorry about the sciatica...my husband had it for several years on and off. He had a chiropractor that helped. Hope you are soon feeling better, and thanks for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
ReplyDeleteRuth
Wonderful St. Patrick's Day post. I was excited to see the Lyons Tea ... strong and black, please! Everything here to celebrate: soda bread, too. Lovely tea set and mugs. Happy Tea Day!
ReplyDeleteLovely post and your bread turned out beautifully. Your teacups are sweet and I just love your tablecloth and the lined basket. Have a wonderful week.
ReplyDelete~Clara
What a fun post to read and enjoy! I loved your cute doll, your pretty tea mugs and your musical teacup. The bread looks heavenly and I'd love a big slice right now.
ReplyDeleteI love everything in this post! Wish I was close by you, I would go for tea, or Irsih coffee with some of that yummy looking Irsih soda bread. Your shamrock china is gorgeous and so is the tablecloth...again, I love it ALL! Have a lovely week. Thank you for your sweet and kind visit.
ReplyDeleteFABBY
Oh yes, and we would be talking about this wonderful new Pope, too!
ReplyDeleteFABBY
ummm, I love Irish coffee and soda bread. Love your china, too. :)
ReplyDeleteI have never even had soda bread?! I am going to have to give it a try! Life to the full, Melissa
ReplyDeleteHello Shawn,
ReplyDeleteFirst, I am sorry to hear you are nursing a sore leg! I do hope that what ever it is that is causing the issue will heal soon and well.
Your St. Patrick's Day post is amazing! Wow! I love it! Your tea cup and other shamrock treasures look beautiful. And that doll! She is gorgeous!
Hugs,
Terri
Hello Shawn,
ReplyDeleteWhat a great St. Patrick's Day post.
I love all of the pictures and
the soda bread looks delicious.
Thanks for stopping by and for
your kind comments.
Bear Hugs,
Carolyn
a lovely St Pattys Day post. Hoping your leg os better soon. Hugs
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful tea post for St. Patrick's Day! That little doll is just about the sweetest thing ever!
ReplyDeleteHi Shawn,
ReplyDeletethats such a cute St. Patricks tea time. You have really outstanding shamrock items and the little Irish girl is so cute. It was the pute delight to see all the photos. Thank you for sharing and for your visit on my blog with the nice comment. I wish you so much luck as you have shamrocks in your posting.
Best greetings, Johanna
Darn Shawn, I hope your leg is feeling better. What did you do? Your soda bread looks delish and easy. We had some on St. Patty's but my daughter bought it at a local bakery. She made Calcannon (which was yummy) but ran out of time so she bought the bread. It was delicious, but I will be pinning your recipe for next year. Your Irish doll is so sweet and I love the saying about the limp. It made me laugh. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
ReplyDeletehugs,
Jann
I love the bread, and this is such a beautiful post! The photos are gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent this week! So thrilled to have you share with us. Have a wonderful weekend!
ReplyDeleteHugs
Kathy